Keyhole Ridge in Winter

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Voodoo302
14ers: 19 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Keyhole Ridge in Winter

Post by Voodoo302 »

I'm sure it's been done but does anyone have some insight into getting after the Keyhole Ridge (that's the ridge, not the Keyhole Route :-D ) in winter? It doesn't look like it collects much snow so I'd expect mostly drifted snow and colder/windier conditions than usual.

I'm also wondering why the route traverses so far looker's left before heading up; any reason beyond difficulty not to head up just to the left of the Keyhole proper and follow the ridge from there?

Thoughts? I've never done this route so any beta in general is welcome.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Re: Keyhole Ridge in Winter

Post by I Man »

Voodoo302 wrote:I'm sure it's been done but does anyone have some insight into getting after the Keyhole Ridge (that's the ridge, not the Keyhole Route :-D ) in winter? It doesn't look like it collects much snow so I'd expect mostly drifted snow and colder/windier conditions than usual.

I'm also wondering why the route traverses so far looker's left before heading up; any reason beyond difficulty not to head up just to the left of the Keyhole proper and follow the ridge from there?

Thoughts? I've never done this route so any beta in general is welcome.
This route has been done several times in winter. I know of some on this site that have been up there in snow (late fall thru now). I have only done it in summer, but i would agree that it probably doesn't hold a lot of snow (watch out for ice though). This is similar to a lot of classic alpine routes (like Upper Exum on the Teton for Example) where you can choose your own route. For the most part it is hard to get into terrain much above 5.7. You should be able to piece together a route.

Its an amazing climb! I hope you get after it.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.