FKT on Capitol?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Re: FKT on Capitol?

Post by RoanMtnMan »

Trail running a 14er is one thing. But this is the Capitol record that has always garnered my respect.

Capitol Triathlon biking / hiking / climbing
Neal Beidleman and Kevin Cooney 11h
-summer '95 Aspen to Aspen via mt. bikes, hiking and up the Northwest Face (IV 5.9). Unsupported - carried all gear the entire way. Used an 8mm rope and a small rack.

Good thing Neal was so fit because we know what he had to do nine months later.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

I forget where I read it, but there was a "Puget Sound to Rainier summit and back" time posted that was pretty darn fast.
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

pvnisher wrote:I forget where I read it, but there was a "Puget Sound to Rainier summit and back" time posted that was pretty darn fast.
http://mountrainierclimbing.blogspot.co ... it-in.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quite a day. Just under 20h.

I think the Rainier speed record still stands at 4:49:35. The ascent was at a pace of about 2,500ft an hour. Fast, but when you keep that up for 9,000ft it is amazing.

For those that speed climb 13ers and 14ers, 2,000 vert an hour is enough to make most fit mortals want to puke on the summit.
Last edited by RoanMtnMan on Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see it mentioned in the posts before.
nkan02 wrote:I saw him on Torreys this past July. Jesus-look alike :)
Just looks like Anton.

http://antonkrupicka.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From following his blogs, he's moved from focusing primarily on the Leadville 100, to more, uh, "technical" runs. That could mean doing all 5 flatirons, while running up Green Mountain, or gridding Longs Peak.

Kieners route.

Or doing more Euro-style mountain races, for example.

He can get away with what's basically beyond what most people think of UL, since he's so damn fast. Storm coming in? Just fly down to safer places.
doggler
14ers: 57  8 
13ers: 162 7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by doggler »

Tony is a super fast dude, as well as a super cool guy.

For anyone who is interested, it's pretty cool to take a closer look at his Leadville splits. He still wasn't 100%, and some other world-class ultra guys pulled away from him in the first 40. He gobbled them all up on the Hope Pass double-cross and put some major time in all of them...but they caught him again. Not enough vert for him to exploit his advantage.

I'd love to see him go after something like Nolan's. He has the potential to obliterate the current FKT.