P.S.A . for all who drive to trailheads

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Smokey
14ers: 58 
13ers: 82 4
Trip Reports (0)

P.S.A . for all who drive to trailheads

Post by Smokey »

This is just a reminder to everyone on this site not to speed near the small town of Twin Lakes on Colorado 82. I was on my way out to hike “lackawanna” this past Friday and I had not been on 82 in over 5 years. At dawn, with no coffee in my system, I blew by the radar sign that posts your speed right below the 30 mph sign shortly before you get to twin lakes. As soon as I came around the bend and saw the town I hit the brakes but it was already too late. I was pulled over by a lake county deputy, Bryce Hinton, who sounded so disappointed in me when he asked why I did not even tap my brakes when the sign was flashing my speed? (I am not admitting to my speed, but let’s just say was way too fast.) All I could say was, sorry. He also asked me where we were going and when I told him he kind of gave me a nod of approval and he and his partner whet back to their car. My friend BK and I were sure this was going to be VERY expensive. Truth be told, he could have ended my day right then if he wanted to thanks to some expired paperwork of mine. Instead he came back to my truck and told me he did not want to “ruin my day” so he was letting me go with a warning. Needless to say from the point on the day was great. We even got a Bluebird summit with only 20 mph wind and temps pushing 30. Thank you again deputy Hinton! I just want to pay it forward and remind everyone to pay attention on your early morning drives to trailheads. I know that I will from now on. Small towns pop up, and sometimes there are cops running radar and chances are good the deputy that pulls you over will not be nearly as cool as deputy Hinton.
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Re: P.S.A . for all who drive to trailheads

Post by Boggy B »

Old cruiser with the bulky light rack (which always seems to be parked there uninhabited just for "traffic calming")?
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

A good perspective on it: nobody likes when people speed through their neighborhood. So don't go around speeding in other peoples' neighborhoods either.
Last edited by Tory Wells on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

Yeah, it really isn't worth speeding through towns. The impact on your arrival time is not significant. I recommend listening to Django Reinhardt's music or Colorado Public Radio to feel more relaxed while driving. 8)
tenpins
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tenpins »

might want to reconsider posting the deputy's name online. They are supposed to enforce the laws, not interpret them or judge. A supervisor with a bug up his ass who reads this may cause him some trouble.
iquack08
14ers: 58 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Post by iquack08 »

There's always a higher probability of police watching for speeding in town. Enforcement is more of a priority in town than outside of town, so I always make sure to drive the speed limit through those areas.

Usually, there is a empty cop car parked in Twin Lakes to scare people into slowing down. Also, I see quite a bit of people getting pulled over between Leadville and Buena Vista; not a good road to speed.
lafutura
14ers: 21  6 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lafutura »

they must teach lake county deputies to be uncommonly nice - once had one pull us over just outside of leadville as the speed limit drastically changes back and forth. the guy who was driving had a bunch of speeding tickets already on his record and unbeknownst to him had been going >50 mph in a 35. the deputy still gave him a ticket but dropped the mph to much less than what he was going. he didn't have to do that, and i know my friend, with what little points he has left on his license, was very grateful.