Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Good spots for snowshoeing

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Good spots for snowshoeing

Postby oldschoolczar » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:14 pm

Hey y'all..

My girlfriend and I just got some snowshoes and were looking to do a fun showshoe hike this weekend. We are looking for recommendations on some areas that have good conditions right now for snowshoeing.. ideally some fairly fresh snow. Has anyone been out recently and could recommend a nice area where we could try out our new shoes? Neither of us has avy training yet, so we are looking for an area with fairly low avy risk.
We were considering Brainard Lake in IPW.. anyone been up there recently. Oh yeah, we're also from Denver so we don't want to drive much further than ~2 hours...
"Tonight I'll shave the mountain
I'll cut the hearts from pharoahs"
-Tom Waits

Re: Good spots for snowshoeing

Postby Double Oh Seven » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:20 am

I've been to Brainard Lake twice the winter most recent time was two weeks ago. There really is very little snow on the loop and the road and snowshoes were not needed. Im guessing not much has changed. Once you reach the Long Lake TH snowshoes become a little more useful. You can go all the way to Lake Isabelle without crossing any avalanche areas. I have pretty much given up on snowshoeing the front range until later this winter.

Postby FamousShoes » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:26 am

We did a snowshoeing trip up FlatTop Mountain in Rocky Mountain National Park 2 weekends ago. The trail was packed but if you wanted to step a few feet off trail you could get pretty deep. Also, above treeline it was very windy. Let me know where you end up going. I just bought the MSR Evo Ascent's, & Im also new to the snowshoeing life. Journey Well sir.

Postby funkymonkey1111 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:04 am

If you want to get out on a trail, some ski resort have nordic centers with snowshoe trails--Granby Ranch has trails for instance

Postby boudreaux » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:18 am

I bet the trail up to Naylor Lake/Silver Dollar Lake might be a good place to go off of Guanella Pass Rd on Sunday?

2nd Creek on the north side of Berthoud Pass on Hwy 40 is another good place.
Ragin Cajun

Postby Econrecon » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:28 am

Doubtful any spots have FRESH snow but Echo Lake is a good spot for shoeing and close to Denver.

Postby Yoric » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:08 pm

I was at East Portal just a few days ago. The first two miles are hard pack, but after that the snow got very deep. Before putting on my now shoes I was post holing up to my upper thigh.