Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Trip Report Page

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.

Trip Report Page

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:20 pm

Hi Bill,

Thanks for all your hard work and constant improvements to the site!

I just noticed today that the brown border at the top of most of the web pages now extends to include several inches at right of the trip reports.

On further research, I find it appears this way on my last two reports, and not on other recent reports.

The problem with this is the brown background changes color perception of the photography. A neutral border would be much better.

I believe the reason this is occurring on mine and not others is that I manually justify text at 1000 pixels. This is so that I can use 1200-wide photos for impact and not have put the reader through constantly having to scroll left and right to read each line. (I have a high-res monitor.) It has worked well till now. So there has been some recent change which now increases this right side brown border from just a very skinny line of a few pixels on most reports, to a background several inches wide on those I've manually justified.

I could "fix" it by limiting photo sizes to 1000, or going with the standard user-defined 800/full res, but I believe it makes more sense for the artist to choose an intended size matched to the photo of interest, whether it be 600 wide or 1500 wide. With those larger than 1000 wide, scrolling will be necessary on some computers, to see the entire image, and that is taken into account - but with the manual justification, the user does not have to scroll every line of text.

So is there a recent change that has put the brown border in, and is there a work-around?

Thanks.

Jim

Site Administrator

Re: Trip Report Page

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:48 pm

Mostly likely, it's due to changes that went in this morning and they didn't get re-cached by your browser right away. I suspect it will work itself out if it already hasn't.

Please let me know if it hasn't. Thanks!
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:13 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Mostly likely, it's due to changes that went in this morning and they didn't get re-cached by your browser right away. I suspect it will work itself out if it already hasn't.

Please let me know if it hasn't. Thanks!

Thanks, Bill.

Well... yes, the brown border is gone! :-D

But now there's a small blue border around all the photos, including those on other TRs. Again, a color conflict depending on what is in the photo - just as one would choose or reject a certain mat or frame color for a physical photo.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:21 pm

By request, I've added some framing to TR photos. Soon I'll change the TR Add/Edit pages to specify a default frame, none, and eventually a color palette.

Tonight I'll at least have an option to use the default frame or none. Since very few people include their own photo frames, the default will likely be the blue one and you'll have an option to turn it off. Again, until I provide more robust features to customize frames within the TR pages.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:56 pm

Wow! Very cool.

I'll check back in a day or two and make edits to past reports as needed.

Thanks again, Bill!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:26 pm

Jim,
At the bottom of the TR Add/Edit pages you'll find a checkbox which allows you to turn off those default (blue) photo borders.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:23 pm

Not to bump this yet again, but... thank you, Bill!
Checking my most recent report, it's back to "normal" without me doing anything. I'm guessing you fixed it. Thanks!

In the future when I see something different I'll try to give it a day or more before bringing it to the forum. You're so ahead of things on the site that it must be tough to implement changes while 30,000 people are continuously accessing it - and essentially 0.0000001% downtime in the last 3 years that I know of. That's quite a record.

Again, thanks.

Jim