Snow free trail running?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Snow free trail running?

Post by Tory Wells »

VERY HAPPY there is snow on the trails now. Nothing better than a snow-covered mountain/foothill trail to run on. \:D/
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Tory Wells wrote:VERY HAPPY there is snow on the trails now. Nothing better than a snow-covered mountain/foothill trail to run on. \:D/
Yeh. It hides all those rocks and roots and patches of ice.
Vids
14ers: 11 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vids »

SurfNTurf wrote:Jeffco Open Space recently went live with a trail conditions page. It's only a placeholder because we're in the process of redesigning the website, but the info is there.
Thanks for this, it's a great link! Also thanks to everyone else for their input.

If anyone happens to run between now and Saturday, please post an update. This snowstorm looks like it dumped a little more than I expected. We will probably run Green Mountain or Matthews/Winters, looks like those dry out the fastest. (Coming from Parker so don't want to drive too far north)
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Vids wrote:If anyone happens to run between now and Saturday, please post an update. This snowstorm looks like it dumped a little more than I expected. We will probably run Green Mountain or Matthews/Winters, looks like those dry out the fastest. (Coming from Parker so don't want to drive too far north)
Have you considered Greenland Open Space? It's a bit south of Castle Rock (exit 167 on I-25) and has pretty nice views and decent rolling terrain. 100% non-technical though.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
doggler
14ers: 57  8 
13ers: 162 7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by doggler »

20130129_050445.jpg
20130129_050445.jpg (182.97 KiB) Viewed 857 times
Tory Wells wrote:VERY HAPPY there is snow on the trails now. Nothing better than a snow-covered mountain/foothill trail to run on. \:D/
That's the stuff.
Vids
14ers: 11 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vids »

Bean wrote:Have you considered Greenland Open Space? It's a bit south of Castle Rock (exit 167 on I-25) and has pretty nice views and decent rolling terrain. 100% non-technical though.
Not a bad idea, I will add that to the list. I sort of want something in the mountains though, my sister will be visiting from IA this weekend and she would probably enjoy the foothills more than something on the plains.

Does anyone know of running trails in the foothills around the Castle Rock area, between Co Springs and Lone Tree? I'm really just familiar with the JeffCo open space properties.
doggler
14ers: 57  8 
13ers: 162 7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by doggler »

Vids wrote:
Bean wrote:Have you considered Greenland Open Space? It's a bit south of Castle Rock (exit 167 on I-25) and has pretty nice views and decent rolling terrain. 100% non-technical though.
Not a bad idea, I will add that to the list. I sort of want something in the mountains though, my sister will be visiting from IA this weekend and she would probably enjoy the foothills more than something on the plains.

Does anyone know of running trails in the foothills around the Castle Rock area, between Co Springs and Lone Tree? I'm really just familiar with the JeffCo open space properties.
Greenland Open Space is more than just wide open spaces. You can do the Spruce Mountain Loop to get some good views and a mountainous "feel".

Additionally, the Mt. Herman Fire Road area in Monument has some nice trails.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

Vids wrote:If anyone happens to run between now and Saturday, please post an update. This snowstorm looks like it dumped a little more than I expected. We will probably run Green Mountain or Matthews/Winters, looks like those dry out the fastest. (Coming from Parker so don't want to drive too far north)
I will be running one of the two tomorrow morning, haven't really decided which yet. I'll let you know how it looks. Stuff is melting out there, just came in from a run and got pretty slushified.

--D
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

This morning:
About 50/50 snow on the outer trail around Green Mt (Lakewood) with mostly snow cover on the valley trails. Not much ice. Yet. By tomorrow and some warmer temps I'm sure that'll change.

Didn't use any traction, was not needed. Could have used an extra layer though! That wind coming from the west just before sunrise was brutal.

--D
tlerunner
14ers: 27 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tlerunner »

Close to Parker, check out Castlewood Canyon state park

Tim
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I hiked at Castlewood 10 days ago (pre-storm), and the inner canyon trail was packed and icy. The part that descends into the canyon is north-facing and very shady in the winter. It was fine with screw shoes, though, and the rim trails were dry.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
siop
Trip Reports (0)

Post by siop »

Ran Apex yesterday, the front was snow free but everything else was pretty snow covered windblown. Broke trail mat of the way and was mid-shin deep in a couple spots. Unlikely it will be snow free this weekend. Hit up Matt-Winters today. It was 50/50 and was glad I wore my screws in a few spots. A few places on the hogback and north side of the mesa will probably still be covered this weekend.
"because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing the lawn. climb that goddamn mountain" -jack kerouac

"here is your chance to find your own way. go on your own. be adventuresome. don't forever seek the easiest way. go the way you find. don't demand trail signs and sturdy bridges. don't demand we show you the mountains. see them and find them yourself. here's your chance to get lost, fall in the creek, find a beautiful place." -randy morgenson