night sky pictures

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: night sky pictures

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Nice. Good stuff

I certainly don't have the patience to stay out and compose stuff like that.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
upndown
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by upndown »

Oman wrote:Agreed! That is a spectacular shot (or shots). I'd love to hear how you did it. I tried but failed to do a shutter exposure over 50 seconds without having the stars turn into star trails. Amazing that you could catch a dozen meteors and still have the Milky Way remain tack-sharp.
That is the EXACT reason I asked him to give me the details. I love star shots, but haven't quite figured out how to 'track' the stars. Surely Matt will deliver!
Dreams don't care if you are happy. They only care that they have been lived.
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

Here's the same composition... and basically the same photos... only this time combined as a star trail photo:

BTW I also wrote a tutorial if anyone is interested:

http://www.mattpaynephotography.com/blo ... ght-photos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
upndown
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by upndown »

mattpayne11 wrote:Here's the same composition... and basically the same photos... only this time combined as a star trail photo:

BTW I also wrote a tutorial if anyone is interested:

http://www.mattpaynephotography.com/blo ... ght-photos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you Matt. That tutorial was well written and easy to understand.
Dreams don't care if you are happy. They only care that they have been lived.
mattpayne11
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

Here's an actual 14er at night. LOL.

Little Bear Peak Frozen by Matt-Payne, on Flickr
shearmodulus
14ers: 18  1  1 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by shearmodulus »

What is the F-stop, ISO and shutter speed you're using for some of these? I have access to Nikon D300s with work (I'm Army Public Affairs) and I use a Canon S5IS for personal photography. I've been trying to do these for a while and haven't had much luck with the Canon since the longest exposure I can get is 15 seconds with an ISO of 1600.
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads...."
mattpayne11
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

shearmodulus wrote:What is the F-stop, ISO and shutter speed you're using for some of these? I have access to Nikon D300s with work (I'm Army Public Affairs) and I use a Canon S5IS for personal photography. I've been trying to do these for a while and haven't had much luck with the Canon since the longest exposure I can get is 15 seconds with an ISO of 1600.
generally speaking, I almost always shoot these at 30 second exposures every 33 seconds on an intervalometer.... ISO between 800 and 3200 depending on the conditions. Lower f the better ;) f/2.8 or even more open than that if possible.
aiyers
14ers: 26 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aiyers »

Matt,

thanks for the detailed instructions. I will have to try it out one of these nights...

Cheers,
-Aiyer
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark Curtis »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46092977@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vonmackle
14ers: 30 
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

Twin Owls, RMNP. It's often a surprise to see what colors show up in long night sky exposures. The warm tones on the owls came from the soon to be setting full moon, which contrasted nicely with the cool tones of twilight. I wasn't expecting this result and now wish I would have taken a little more care in setting up the shot. (30sec @ f4,iso 400)
_MG_3953.jpg
_MG_3953.jpg (92.34 KiB) Viewed 4151 times
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
Mindy
14ers: 14 
13ers: 25 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mindy »

http://blog.flickr.net/en/2013/02/01/a- ... the-light/

Made me think of you - 14ers.com night sky photographers. Jury is still out for me on this guys work, but interesting none the less.
Leigh
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Leigh »

These are all incredible! It's amazing how many more stars you can see in Colorado than Illinois!!!

I was pretty happy to capture the Milky Way for the first time, taken this past September in Crystal, CO