Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Skiing down a 14er

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Skiing down a 14er

Postby Bean » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:00 pm

leadvilleclimber wrote:It isn't always so bad... In May. I prefer corn but that doesn't cover much of the year. I can't remember many good decents on anything in calendar winter unless it is side country.

It's good above treeline in May, below it's generally isothermal garbage or too bare to ski.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:10 pm

You can always judge how many CO 14ers a skier has bagged by how much disdain they have for the task. Of my 50+ descents, I've had 2 in great snow conditions. Less than 4%? Unless one's goal is to ski them all, I have trouble seeing the point. There is so much better stuff to do on skis in this state.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby RobertPetrowsky » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:13 pm

The only one I have skied top to bottom on good snow was Handies last year after everyone said it was out on top. Took a couple hundred feed of pizza down a cornice line then high speed corn the rest of the way. I can't name any, whether its a summit ski or just hiking a snowfield to get turns, where I haven't had some level of bad conditions at some point in the route.

Postby Stevo68 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:49 pm

Although theres no real way to ski from the summit to the top of lambslide( maybe a parachute if you feel frisky) that fun and steep. been up there three time in the last three years. twice in June almost a year apart, first time 4 inches of new snow couldnt complain, then i hit it the following April but me being solo and my isolated column test being sketchy i didnt try even through it was probably amazing, and then the following june hard as a rock and sun cupped like the demples of a golf ball. No two experiences will be the same.
Ride to Live....Live to Ride

Postby benners » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:15 pm

mtnfiend wrote:
leadvilleclimber wrote:....Now it seems like just a massive slog through garbage snow, down an avy slope and up a pile of frozen garbage to ski junk snow....

You do realize how accurately this describes skiing peaks, right?

Helps if you get away from viewing peak skiing as a legitimate search for good snow and start viewing it as an efficient way to climb peaks sans the crappy hiking down part :P.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:18 pm

benners wrote:Helps if you get away from viewing peak skiing as a legitimate search for good snow and start viewing it as an efficient way to climb peaks sans the crappy hiking down part :P.

I can't argue with that point. Getting down Quandary in 30 mins of easy skiing or 2 hours of leg abuse :-k .
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

Postby Bean » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:13 am

benners wrote:Helps if you get away from viewing peak skiing as a legitimate search for good snow and start viewing it as an efficient way to climb peaks sans the crappy hiking down part :P.

Nailed it.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby gb » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:19 am

RoanMtnMan wrote:You can always judge how many CO 14ers a skier has bagged by how much disdain they have for the task. Of my 50+ descents, I've had 2 in great snow conditions. Less than 4%? Unless one's goal is to ski them all, I have trouble seeing the point. There is so much better stuff to do on skis in this state.

Man, either you've had really bad luck or I had really good luck. The majority of my 14er descents were just plain fun, in good corn or pow. I think I would have stopped otherwise. But yeah, each of those days could have been potentially better on a nearby non-14er.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:40 pm

gb wrote:Man, either you've had really bad luck or I had really good luck. The majority of my 14er descents were just plain fun, in good corn or pow. I think I would have stopped otherwise. But yeah, each of those days could have been potentially better on a nearby non-14er.

Fair. Probably some underlying frustration in my comment from two bad winters. Every descent in CO has been fun and extremely memorable, but I think my definition of great snow got skewed after Japan!

Previous