lower avy risk 14er in the sawatch?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
happymtnclimber
Trip Reports (0)

lower avy risk 14er in the sawatch?

Post by happymtnclimber »

was planning a trip for this weekend but everything is looking a bit sketchy. suggestions?
Nelson
14ers: 58  8  14 
Trip Reports (26)

Re: lower avy risk 14er in the sawatch?

Post by Nelson »

This is a link to the CAIC avy report for yesterday:

https://avalanche.state.co.us/pub_bc_avo.php?zone_id=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think it is time to go skiing, not climbing.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

There are plenty of routes that are safe from avalanches in the Sawatch. One is the East Ridge of Elbert, assuming that you stay on route.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

In a general sense, check caltopo.com, turn on the slope shading option, and pick a route that stays off of, and out from underneath, anything shaded.
Note - I am not an avalanche expert, this is just what I would do to avoid avalanche terrain.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
Nelson
14ers: 58  8  14 
Trip Reports (26)

Post by Nelson »

The other guys give good advice and I cannot argue against it.

I do believe, however, that there are certain things you can do in the course of a long career in the mountains that will substantially mitigate avalanche risk. One is, after a big dump like we have just had, give things some time to settle down. You will learn a lot the first few days after a storm as people start to work their way into the backcountry and you will have a much better idea of where the risk actually is.

If we are talking about skiing I am the worst one for getting out there and "getting the goods" right away. I should also mention I have had my run in's with avalanches.

When we're talking about climbing, I prefer to let things settle down.
JE242
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JE242 »

As a map junkie, I can't believe I have never used caltopo.com?!? i dig it! thanks!
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

I'm only passing on the awesomeness that I found here.
http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... po#p465943" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
swadmin
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 174 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by swadmin »

Thanks for sharing. Very cool site.
GregMiller wrote:I'm only passing on the awesomeness that I found here.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=38504&hilit=Caltopo#p465943
happymtnclimber
Trip Reports (0)

Post by happymtnclimber »

Thank you for all of the responses.
Last edited by happymtnclimber on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
cory1223oh
14ers: 24 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cory1223oh »

happymtnclimber wrote:Thank you for all of the responses. To clarify for anyone else in the position of wanting to climb, a recent trip report clarified that the east ridge of Elbert is not safe right now, so that option is out unlike posted above. I think it is best to let the snow pack settle.
Would you mind posting the link to this trip report, please. I can't seem to find it.
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

happymtnclimber wrote:To clarify for anyone else in the position of wanting to climb, a recent trip report clarified that the east ridge of Elbert is not safe right now, so that option is out unlike posted above. I think it is best to let the snow pack settle.
I know this statement is well intentioned but you cannot determine that the east ridge of Elbert is unsafe right now by reading online what the current conditions were at some point when someone on the internet commented about them. Based on looking at the topo and reading reports of recent avy and weather trends someone with the right skills might determine the route is safe right now and be correct in doing so. If that's not you there is certainly nothing wrong with playing it safe, but don't try to speak definitively on something you don't understand. Too strong?
Last edited by Carl on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

happymtnclimber wrote:Thank you for all of the responses. To clarify for anyone else in the position of wanting to climb, a recent trip report clarified that the east ridge of Elbert is not safe right now, so that option is out unlike posted above. I think it is best to let the snow pack settle.
What recent trip report are you referring too? I have not yet done Elbert in winter, but I have never heard anyone say it wasn't safe. I know many who have gone on that route when the entire state is flashing red....

I think most of the Sawatch 14ers have an avy safe route, but it is easy to get off route and without a good baseline knowledge you could get into trouble.

La Plata is a good winter peak with easy trail access and minimal avy danger on the standard winter route.
Huron is also safe via its North ridge.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.