Thinking about Mt Elbert NE Ridge this Tuesday

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
vdavidoff
14ers: 9  5 
Trip Reports (0)

Thinking about Mt Elbert NE Ridge this Tuesday

Post by vdavidoff »

Hey all,

I am thinking about attempting Mt Elbert's NE Ridge this Tuesday. I think the weather should be pretty good, and avalanche conditions at least better than they are today given no dramatic changes in the weather, though at the moment they are "considerable" on all aspects.

I see the last two trip reports for Elbert were attempts at the East Ridge. Is this a hint that I should be avoiding the NE Ridge? Doesn't necessarily seem like it, but I'm asking because I just don't know. Thoughts? The main reason I have decided on the NE Ridge is because I'd rather not get out to the East Ridge and find that I need to hike to the upper trailhead, though my vehicle is generally capable (4wd 4runner with good all terrain tires) so maybe that's not likely.

Aside from generally observing the weather, my primary sources of weather and condition info are:

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/ ... casts/4399" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://avalanche.state.co.us/pub_bc_avo.php?zone_id=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks.
Andy
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Re: Thinking about Mt Elbert NE Ridge this Tuesday

Post by d_baker »

vdavidoff wrote: I see the last two trip reports for Elbert were attempts at the East Ridge. Is this a hint that I should be avoiding the NE Ridge? Doesn't necessarily seem like it, but I'm asking because I just don't know. Thoughts?
I haven't done Elbert in winter, and it's been close to 10 years since I hiked the NE ridge route.
With that said, Elbert's E ridge has typically been the winter standard route, in part I think because of access to the TH, and secondly because it's generally avy safe.
The TH for the NE ridge route in most winters with a decent snowpack I think is probably inaccessible.

However, this year the snowpack is not great, and as of last weekend the TH for the NE ridge route was accessible. (I know someone that drove to the N Halfmoon TH and did Massive Mania tour last weekend.)
With the recent storm, I don't know if the TH access is as good as it was. I also don't know of what kind of route finding/avy terrain avoidance is necessary on that route.

The summertime TH for the E ridge route was accessible a couple of weeks ago as well. If that is not the current status, the mileage from the "winter closure" is (according to this site) around 12mi's RT with 4900' elevation gain.
Personally, I would just bet on the E ridge route as a go, for both safety and TH access.

Hope that helps. Only my thoughts -- not first hand experience with either route in winter.
vdavidoff
Trip Reports (0)

Post by vdavidoff »

Ah, well, if the East Ridge is the standard winter route, that's good enough to convince me to use it, all things being equal. I think you have changed my mind and I'll now be attempting the East Ridge. Hopefully still Tuesday but we'll see.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Andy
vdavidoff
Trip Reports (0)

Post by vdavidoff »

This happened. I have added a trailhead report and a peak conditions report.

Andy