Raspberry Gulch to Antero

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
KentonB
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Raspberry Gulch to Antero

Post by KentonB »

TommyF wrote:Snowshoed up Raspberry Gulch today. Got a late start so I only went to the end of the road. Parked at the winter closure at the intersection of 272/274. The flats leading up to the road heading up the gulch ranged from bare ground to 2 to 3 feet deep. Hard crust on top, powder/soft snow underneath. The road up the gulch had a fair amount of snow, some areas with drifts 3 feet plus deep. The south slope below the mine to the north of the gulch was pretty much dry. Even with the amount of snow that fell this past weekend, Antero and even Princeton still had a lot of bare spots visible with most of the snow in couloirs and troughs. I didn't get an pics as I forgot my camera in the Jeep.
Somehow, I was holding out this wild hope that we could drive a ways up the gulch. So I guess that adds about an extra 2 miles or so each direction. Since I was really hoping for a "guaranteed" summit, I may try something in Lost Creek Wilderness and save Raspberry Gulch for later this spring/summer. Thanks for the update!
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

KentonB wrote:Somehow, I was holding out this wild hope that we could drive a ways up the gulch. So I guess that adds about an extra 2 miles or so each direction. Since I was really hoping for a "guaranteed" summit, I may try something in Lost Creek Wilderness and save Raspberry Gulch for later this spring/summer. Thanks for the update!
It adds 1 3/4 miles and 850 feet of a good, gradual gain. I would still call this a very viable option.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
KentonB
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

[quote="wildlobo71"]It adds 1 3/4 miles and 850 feet of a good, gradual gain. I would still call this a very viable option./quote]
That might be doable... We'd need an early start though. I'll run it by my hiking partners and see. I noticed some of the snow could likely be avoided by bushwacking up the eastern ridgeline to Point 11038 (i.e., avoid Raspberry Gulch altogether). Since I wanted to tag that point anyway, this might be a good option. Even if we had to bail on Antero, at least we'd have one summit for the day. Thanks again!