Willow Creek Approach

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Rambler
14ers: 33 
Trip Reports (3)

Willow Creek Approach

Post by Rambler »

Question: Hiking to Willow Lake to camp in late July before a Kit Carson/Challenger attempt. How long from trailhead to the Lake? We'll have 40 pound packs and just wanted to know how late we can start to get to the lake and set up camp with plenty of time before it gets dark. I've seen about 3 hrs give or take and just wanted opinons of those who have done it. Thanks for any help.
ThuChad
14ers: 31  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Willow Creek Approach

Post by ThuChad »

Took my group 4 hours at a slow pace w/ overnight packs. Stopped for a 20 minute break. 3-4 hours is a safe bet.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

Rambler wrote:We'll have 40 pound packs
40lb packs for an overnight? I presume that means you will be carrying a lot of beer! :-D
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

It took me and one other 2.5 hours with 25- to 30-pound packs. We set up camp about 10-15 minutes below the lake. So yeah, three hours is a good estimate, maybe a bit longer if you're really carrying that much weight.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
Rambler
14ers: 33 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Rambler »

Ha ha, yeah randalmartin I may have overestimated the pack load #-o I'm sure it'll be closer to thirty if that.
Thanks for the feedback SurfNTurf and ThuChad
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

I would plan for 4 hours. It's nice to have that extra hour built in so you don't feel like you are rushing up to set up before the sun goes down. Keep me posted when you go, as I would be interested in joining.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

I think I remember it was about 5 miles and I plan for 1 mph....so if you wanted to take adult beverages up, you could then have a 50 pound pack! :-D
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

It seemed like it took FOREVER when my wife and I did that approach. I think it was between 4 1/2 and 5 hours. We did park below the trailhead near the "4WD road beyond this point" which added a bit of time. Since we were stormed off we will have to try again some time!
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Times are going to vary but I can give you the distance from TH to camping at lake: ~4.75 miles one way

Willow Creek Approch
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs