Let's see your black & whites!!

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
HikerDan75
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Let's see your black & whites!!

Post by HikerDan75 »

Thank you for the link, I'll take a look. I hope to share some pictures soon.
Nil sine Numine
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Not worthy but here is one: Image
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
Mindy
14ers: 14 
13ers: 25 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mindy »

Johnson - Not worthy! That is a cool shot. Great composition, of course. Moody. Thanks for sharing.

vonmackle - the scream is also a great shot, well done all around. Consider http://denverarts.org/call_for_entries/ ... here_in_bw.
vonmackle
14ers: 30 
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

Pinecone
_MG_3974.jpg
_MG_3974.jpg (222.95 KiB) Viewed 4030 times
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
TomM
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TomM »

Where was this taken?
Johnson wrote:Not worthy but here is one:
Johnson
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

TomM wrote:Where was this taken?
Johnson wrote:Not worthy but here is one:

"Jacksonville, FL?" I lived in Kingsland for a short while....

This was taken on the way back from climbing Jupiter Mountain in the San Juans.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Barry, that is one of the best compositions I've seen recently.

The railroad ties act as leading lines, taking the viewer from the foreground right to the cabin door - and the on to the mysteries of the tunnel.

The eye is drawn first to the cabin, then to the tunnel, then back to the cabin. The monochrome removes the distracting element of color from the composition, allowing the full impact of composition and juxtaposition of shapes.

I particularly like the curving lines of the rails, the tension between the three major elements in the composition, and the placement of elements within the composition.

Very, very nice.

Johnson
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

That is very kind of you Jim. The day was a bit of a blur but Unclegar and I were having fun stealing ideas for shots. I think this was my idea but it could have been his. He is more honest than I am so maybe he will see this and weigh in.
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

Johnson wrote:That is very kind of you Jim. The day was a bit of a blur but Unclegar and I were having fun stealing ideas for shots. I think this was my idea but it could have been his. He is more honest than I am so maybe he will see this and weigh in.
That is a nice shot, Barry. Did you guys flip the crate sitting inside that cabin? There is a bit of history there...
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
Johnson
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Papillon wrote:
Johnson wrote:That is very kind of you Jim. The day was a bit of a blur but Unclegar and I were having fun stealing ideas for shots. I think this was my idea but it could have been his. He is more honest than I am so maybe he will see this and weigh in.
That is a nice shot, Barry. Did you guys flip the crate sitting inside that cabin? There is a bit of history there...

No, we didn't.... don't want to derail the thread but what is the history?

Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

There are some fantastic images in this thread.

So I poked around the shack in Johnson's image above, spotted a crate and flipped it on a whim. That is a long way from Denver. Not sure when the crate got there. The company was founded in 1883.

The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Papillon wrote:There are some fantastic images in this thread.

So I poked around the shack in Johnson's image above, spotted a crate and flipped it on a whim. That is a long way from Denver. Not sure when the crate got there. The company was founded in 1883.

Whoa!