Mt. Massive winter route?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Re: Mt. Massive winter route?

Post by Bean »

sgladbach wrote:IMO, with the road closed and if you are not looking for a ski descent, the Fish Hatchery route would be my recommendation as easiest to find and follow.
I did it as a ski descent and thought it was a great option. If you pick your line well and avalanche conditions are good (right now they are not), you can ski pretty continuously from the summit to the trailhead. It was one of the few 14ers I've done where the snow was good enough to enjoy.

I Man, I think it might have been such a tough day because of the huge group size. It's hard to keep 10 people moving at a decent pace. Jim and I didn't start until 9am, finished before dark, and probably could have pushed the pace even quicker had we wanted to.

This is all of course influenced by my biases and may not be appropriate for beginners.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
sgladbach
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 710 37
Trip Reports (29)

Post by sgladbach »

Bean wrote:I did it as a ski descent and thought it was a great option.
I don't do ski descents, so I should not have spoken so definitively. I know that my ski friends/aquaintences have all waited until the west couloirs were in shape. They skied in the Halfmoon Rd. to the N Halfmoon Ck. TH and climbed / skied the mountain on its west side.

Bean has first hand ski info on the east side, so it sounds like the fish hatchery route also makes for a good ski descent.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
vdavidoff
14ers: 9  5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by vdavidoff »

SurfNTurf, I sent you a PM.

Thanks again to everyone who replied. You were all a great help. I think before I attempt Massive, at least in the winter, I'm going to attempt Quandary and re-attempt Yale and La Plata Peak. That's a good amount of work I'm comfortable with and interested in doing.

Andy