Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Colorado Couloir Conditions

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Re: Colorado Couloir Conditions

Postby SurfNTurf » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:26 am

ash-ish wrote:How are the Couloirs looking this year? since this seems to be a dry year, is it possible couloirs will be packed and safe to climb earlier than usual? Thinking of making a trip to colorado in April. I need info to plan my co trips this year... i am from houston. Any info will be appreciated.

Long story short, we won't know for a while. There's still a lot of time for snow to fall. Either way, there are some couloirs that should be safe by April. May would be better.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby ash-ish » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:19 pm

Thanks surfnturf. What are those couloirs? I climbed Dragon's tail in mid march in 2009 with a guide. the snow was firm. again, any info is helpful.

Postby benners » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:38 pm

ash-ish wrote:Thanks surfnturf. What are those couloirs? I climbed Dragon's tail in mid march in 2009 with a guide. the snow was firm. again, any info is helpful.

South or east facing couloirs in the Sangres can be safe in March, if there's any snow in them that is. This year may be the year that some of the Sangre classics come into condition (a few appear to be well on their way), we'll see. In general in March you're looking for south/east facing stuff after several days of sun and warmth. As for specific couloirs, there are too many to name but consider filtering ski TRs from the month of March for some ideas. Generally February and March are two of the more plentiful months for snowfall in Colorado so, like SurfNTurf said, a lot remains to be seen! I'm hopeful for a good spring, specially down in the San Juans...

Postby ash-ish » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:06 am

Thanks Benners.

Previous