Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Boulder may drop TH fees

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Boulder may drop TH fees

Postby 434stonemill » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:04 pm

cheeseburglar wrote:Has Boulder ever considered a donation box?

The Open Space officials actually suggested this, but the clueless council members put a kibosh to this idea. I say clueless, because apparently public policy is made not by studies and data but what one "sees." Lisa Morzel saw people drive in from Jeffco, use the trail, and then drive back to Jeffco without shopping in Boulder. As if she followed them for a year to see if they ever shopped in Boulder County, or if this represented a very small percentage of trail users. No she "saw" this, so everyone must be doing this, and studies be damned, she is going to make public policy by what she "sees". I love living in Boulder, but I really can't stand the council and it's politics. But I suppose no place is perfect.

Postby Jim Davies » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:29 pm

The Barr Trail donation box gets less than $1000 per year, so I wouldn't count on Boulder TH donation boxes to fund anything. Unless Boulderites are just especially generous, which I see no evidence of.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby madbuck » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:44 pm

434stonemill wrote:Lisa Morzel saw people drive in from Jeffco, use the trail, and then drive back to Jeffco without shopping in Boulder. As if she followed them for a year to see if they ever shopped in Boulder County, or if this represented a very small percentage of trail users. No she "saw" this, so everyone must be doing this, and studies be damned, she is going to make public policy by what she "sees". I love living in Boulder, but I really can't stand the council and it's politics. But I suppose no place is perfect.

Great point, I saw that in one of the articles. It seemed like a really odd anecdotal "argument," and definitely a dangerous way to make public policy.

Previous