Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sleeping Bags...... Uhhgg

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Sleeping Bags...... Uhhgg

Postby herdbull » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:04 pm

Thanks for the link. That's kind of what I was worried about with the less expensive MH bags is that they might not quite hit their advertised temp ratings. But they still apeear to be a solid middle of the road bag and that's what I'm looking for.

I did stumble on this though:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultralight-Sierra-Designs-Nitro-800F-Down-Sleeping-bag-0F-18C-NR-Marmot-Lithium-/251224075643?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7e1f2d7b

Any thoughts on this bag? I know it's a Sierra Design bag but at this price it's tempting.

Postby Johnson » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:31 pm

Editor's Choice 2008 Backpacker magazine! It seems like "fit" is not an issue for you. Might be ok but there would be no return from ebay... no?

http://www.backcountry.com/marmot-lithium-sleeping-bag-0-degree-down
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby seth0687 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:54 pm

MH phantom 0* down bag. Great bag, extremely light, packs up super small. Couldn't be happier and I've slept in that bag below -10 with long underwater and was sweating.

Seth

Postby globreal » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:44 pm

herdbull wrote:I saw that Marmot Couloir and was all over it until I saw it's only in the Long. I'm small framed and 5'9" with boots on and tip the scales at a whopping 150lbs so a big bag is not really required.

I would recommend the Long regardless of height. To have the room at the foot of your bag to put your wet/sweaty base layers, your Nalgene bottle, your fuel canister, all the things you don't want to freeze, that space IS WORTH IT!
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby Johnson » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:05 pm

globreal wrote:
herdbull wrote:I saw that Marmot Couloir and was all over it until I saw it's only in the Long. I'm small framed and 5'9" with boots on and tip the scales at a whopping 150lbs so a big bag is not really required.

I would recommend the Long regardless of height. To have the room at the foot of your bag to put your wet/sweaty base layers, your Nalgene bottle, your fuel canister, all the things you don't want to freeze, that space IS WORTH IT!

Look at the weight of the long Marmot bag and compare with the weight of a smaller cheaper bag. You may find that it's lighter than a shorter bag and like Britt said, it's handy to keep stuff from freezing. You could always get it and check it out. BC.com has a super return policy.

http://www.backcountry.com/marmot-couloir-sleeping-bag-0-degree-down
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby SuperiorTrailHiker » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:11 am

Not quite the rating you're going for, but I have the Big Agnes Encampment rated at +15, and have used it in some relatively extreme Minnesota / Canada winter conditions (although not at altitude) and have been really happy with it. Very roomy, warm, and light - great piece of gear. It does take a Thermarest pad in a sleeve and has a hood on it, with a pillow pocket - I sleep like a charm in it every time.

I see some recommendations for Marmot bags here, and I might be the biggest non-endorsed Marmot fanboy on a trail anywhere (man, is the Marmot Mantra a great jacket, off topic), so I don't necessarily want to steer away from that, but the one piece of Marmot gear I don't have is a sleeping bag so I can't make a valid recommendation.

The BA is getting snowshoed in to a frozen lake west of Grand Marais, MN this coming weekend, and I'm sure it'll perform.

Postby HuskyRunner » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:41 am

"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker

Postby jbchalk » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:09 am

I've always been a Marmot sleeping bag owner and recently got the new Marmot Lithim Membrain 0 deg bag and used it on Aconcagua this past January. A stellar bag all around. Highly recommend it.

Postby spiderman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:11 am

My son and I both own Big Agnes Hahns Peak -20 degree bagd and have not enjoyed it. Even with two thick ground pads, it does not approach the advertised temperature for us. We are normally warm sleepers and can take most bags to ten degrees below their ratings, but the BA bag gets downright cold when it is below 0, and is not that comfortable below 10.

We both LOVE our Western Mountaineering bags. They are always best-in-class warmth/weight and probably could keep us alive (albeit extremely uncomfortable nights of shivering) at 25 degrees below their listed rating. The only downside is that they pack down so small that they can get "lost" inside a big backpack... we have had to downsize our packs to accommodate their size. Getting the right bag(s) the first time around is priceless.

Postby Johnson » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:28 am

Wow. I was seriously considering the Hahn's Peak. That is discouraging news. You don't work for Western Mountaineering? Do you? ; )

Postby herdbull » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:51 pm

tons of decent choices here. Let me throw this out there. Knowing this is for S.A. (think Acon, Illimani, Chimborazo, Cotopaxi) would you go with something with a colder rating or is zero fine? Would you go with just a down bag with no water repellency? Or would you go "all in" and put something like the MH Wraith -20 on the top and just be set for whatever/whenever.

Geesshhhhzzz...... the boot selection was much easier :-D This has been my day yesterday and today :-k ](*,) :-k ](*,)

Postby lordhelmut » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:36 am

Based on previous recommendations, I'd put in another vote for either Marmot Couloir or Lithium. Couloir seems to have more loft. I personally had that for 5 years, my buddy and I forgot a tent one time in Sangres and slept out in the open in early March, temps read -15 in the morning and we were toasty, me using the Couloir, him using the Lithium. I'd go with those over the Montbell super spiral stretch 0, as I feel, overall, they have more loft and are warmer (although the stretch technology in Montbell is great and leaves more more if you are layering up or storing items you need to keep warm). Western Mtneering are great but pricey and you could be just as secure with a Marmot, so might as well save the $$$. If you are seeing Marmot on sale, I'd say its a no brainer, even if its a long, like Globreal said, more room to store stuff.

PreviousNext