Continuous 14er hike?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
neissw
Trip Reports (0)

Continuous 14er hike?

Post by neissw »

I haven't heard of anyone hiking all the 14ers in a row, (hiking in between them). Has this been attempted before? I realize this would take several months, but also a once in a lifetime opportunity. I have a route I'm working on for the summer of 2014, pending what happens with next winter's snow fall totals. I'm thinking of starting @ Long's and ending @ Pike's. I'm not 100% sure how to incorporate Culebra Peak though. Any ideas?
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Continuous 14er hike?

Post by Tornadoman »

A forum member is planning to do that this summer, and it was mentioned on the last page of this thread. http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38987
Sounds like a really cool idea!
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
SeracZack
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SeracZack »

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller
jdawud
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jdawud »

I haven't been able to confirm anyone having done it before. It is possible that a fellow named Michael Whitehurst may have done it (or something similar) in 1985. I can't find any record of it though. I'm pretty pumped for the trip!
Junaid 'Speshul 41' Dawud
http://www.14ersthruhike.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

jdawud wrote:I haven't been able to confirm anyone having done it before. It is possible that a fellow named Michael Whitehurst may have done it (or something similar) in 1985. I can't find any record of it though. I'm pretty pumped for the trip!
I've seen combo thru-bike-hikes. Bikes for those "boring parts" below treeline.

Andy Skurkas's website and talks have good ideas on light gear and re-supply. He's done several up to six thousand miles at a time.
jdawud
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jdawud »

Yeah, Andrew is quite the distance hiker. I've met him several times and mentioned my plan last time I saw him. His new gear book is a good resource for learning how to select gear. Another good book for going lighter is "ultralight backpacking tips" by mike clelland. Really great info and tricks, hilarious illustrations.
Junaid 'Speshul 41' Dawud
http://www.14ersthruhike.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;