Backpacking areas near Sao Paulo

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pills2619
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Backpacking areas near Sao Paulo

Post by pills2619 »

L
Last edited by pills2619 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Re: Backpacking areas near Sao Paulo

Post by Carl »

pills2619 wrote:So in an unexpected turn of events I will be moving to Sao Paulo, Brazil for six months and I know absolutely nothing about the area surrounding the city in terms of wilderness and backpacking areas. If anyone has any experience in this part of the world would you mind enlightening me as to which areas you find most appealing as I would really like to try and explore some of the Brazilian back country in my free time.
It's been a dozen years since I've been to Sao Paulo. I assume it's still huge and dangerous? What is your experience travelling in Brazil? Do you speak Portuguese? We spent a month travelling throughout the country. In Sao Paulo I remember driving for an hour or two and still being in the city. Not to say we didn't have a good time there enjoying some soccer, great food, dancing, etc. I can't offer any insight into nearby wilderness, sorry. Most of our time exploring the backcountry was spent in the Amazon. You could catch a flight to Manaus as a starting off point then head up the river a few hours or days. Rio is fun too if you haven't been.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Backpacking areas near Sao Paulo

Post by Scott P »

I've only been to far north Brazil, but SP has several pages in the part of the country you are going to:

http://www.summitpost.org/object_list.p ... bject_name" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.