Trip Report-A Return to the Himalaya

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Trip Report-A Return to the Himalaya

Post by Scott P »

Here is our latest trip report from Nepal. I hope that you enjoy it.

http://www.summitpost.org/a-return-to-t ... aya/838418" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll have it in 14ers.com format eventually.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Stephen Butler
14ers: 18 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Trip Report-A Return to the Himalaya

Post by Stephen Butler »

Wow amazing. I would love to do that someday.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

Ummm... wow! Not easy to express such a mountain chain in English words. Kessler is one tough dude to be climbing 1400'/hour at 18k elevation.

I think that we could coin a scientific unit called the "Kessler", or Ke for short. 1 Ke is sufficient hiking prowess to make 1 Sherpa sick for 1 day. To extrapolate, a person with 900 Ke can make 30 Sherpas sick for 30 days. A truly amazing person exuding 1 MKe could make the entire Sherpa people sick for a week.
pflegerc
14ers: 14 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pflegerc »

Plain and simple, your kid is awesome.
Some people have Gods, I have the Mountains. Regardless, neglect either for too long and you will get lost.
Rainier_Wolfcastle
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 260 10
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Rainier_Wolfcastle »

Thank you for sharing your adventure with the rest of us! I really, really enjoyed all the views of Ama Dablam. I hope you get to enjoy the summit with Kessler some day!
Shawn
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Article from Kessler's point of view (I was not there when the interview took place). There are some minor errors in the article, but they are very minor.

http://www.craigdailypress.com/news/201 ... ig-family/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
ylingli
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ylingli »

Thanks for sharing! Sounds amazing! A small group of us are trekking to the Everest Base Camp & Kala Pattar this November! :-D
lazy climber
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lazy climber »

Great trip report, I am leaving for Nepal in two weeks, hope we have good weather.
Palmyra J
14ers: 6 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Palmyra J »

Thanks for the great trip report. It is wonderful for inspiration. My partner and I are planning a trip to Nepal Oct '14. Although we will be guided, I would appreciate advice from those that have been there. Trekking will be our goal!
We are looking at best airline/connection options currently. After some issues with Delta on a trip to Kili last year, we would like to anticipate and avoid any problems as possible.

Any recommendations regarding getting to Kathmandu from the US? I have some AA advantage miles to burn, and see flights to Dehli and Doha/Qutar.

Many thanks,
Jane (Palmyra)
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

Can you please upload this to 29er.com.

Thank you.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
cbrobin
14ers: 55  1 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by cbrobin »

I always enjoy your trip reports. My 11 tear old son did Lindsey with me this summer. Yesterday he said he didn't want to do any of the easy 14ers. Sounds great. I have a sequence for him lined up.
More Colorado than the Natives.
Pops921
14ers: 37 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Pops921 »

Awesome Trip report. thank you for sharing.

I really want to go to the Himalaya's at some point. I have not figured out wether it is a trekking trip or a big climb. I would love to convince the the wife to go with me, she claims she is retired from climbing harnesses, crampons, ice axes and helmets, which points my towards trekking…..but maybe she would go for something like this.
Not as young as I once was and not as old as I want to be.