Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Backpacking areas near Sao Paulo

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.

Backpacking areas near Sao Paulo

Postby pills2619 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:40 pm

So in an unexpected turn of events I will be moving to Sao Paulo, Brazil for six months and I know absolutely nothing about the area surrounding the city in terms of wilderness and backpacking areas. If anyone has any experience in this part of the world would you mind enlightening me as to which areas you find most appealing as I would really like to try and explore some of the Brazilian back country in my free time.
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook

Re: Backpacking areas near Sao Paulo

Postby Carl » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:00 pm

pills2619 wrote:So in an unexpected turn of events I will be moving to Sao Paulo, Brazil for six months and I know absolutely nothing about the area surrounding the city in terms of wilderness and backpacking areas. If anyone has any experience in this part of the world would you mind enlightening me as to which areas you find most appealing as I would really like to try and explore some of the Brazilian back country in my free time.

It's been a dozen years since I've been to Sao Paulo. I assume it's still huge and dangerous? What is your experience travelling in Brazil? Do you speak Portuguese? We spent a month travelling throughout the country. In Sao Paulo I remember driving for an hour or two and still being in the city. Not to say we didn't have a good time there enjoying some soccer, great food, dancing, etc. I can't offer any insight into nearby wilderness, sorry. Most of our time exploring the backcountry was spent in the Amazon. You could catch a flight to Manaus as a starting off point then head up the river a few hours or days. Rio is fun too if you haven't been.

Postby Scott P » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:16 pm

I've only been to far north Brazil, but SP has several pages in the part of the country you are going to:

http://www.summitpost.org/object_list.php?object_type=1&country_1=Brazil&sort_select_1=object_name
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby pills2619 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:41 pm

Well, my brother in law was promoted to Chief of Operations/President for the Brazil division of his tire manufacturing company which has some benefits if you can imagine. Part of the contract calls for a driver/security guard and my sister didn't want some rando around her girls so I'm going to be the driver, personal trainer, and security guard for my sister for the first 6 months they are there. Ill have weekends to myself and by the time I leave for Brazil I will have my pilots license so if I can find places around a mountainous airport that would make things all the better because ill definitely want to fly a bit while I'm there. They are paying for a tutor so that ill have a good grasp on the language before I go down there as well as some kind of executive security class. So ScottP feel free to give me some beta on the areas up north.
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook