Question about some 13ers in the Indian Peaks

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Breebee
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Question about some 13ers in the Indian Peaks

Post by Breebee »

Hello all, so I have yet to summit any 13ers, but have my sights set on a few and am wondering the best routes and estimated times to get through them.
I love the Fall River Res. area and St Marys as well, and am hoping to climb Mt. Eva, Perry Peak, Bancroft and James at some point. I figured James peak via St. Marys is best?
As for the others, I had been looking at some maps and it looks interesting to drive up to Fall River, hike south? to Chinns and Sherwin Lake, hike up the basin to the peaks there, gain the saddle and then hike over the ridge all the way to Bancroft. Is this doable? Are there better routes?
Breebee

The mountains are calling and I must go.

Faith isn't the ability to believe long and far into the misty future.
It's simply taking God at His Word and taking the next step.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Question about some 13ers in the Indian Peaks

Post by kimo »

Welcome to 14ers.com. I hiked Mt. Eva as my first 13er in Sept 2008. I parked my Jeep at Chinns Lake, hiked past Sherwin and Slater Lakes, and then continued on easy grass slopes to the saddle south of Mt. Eva. From there it's an easy walk to the top of Eva. I reversed my route back to my vehicle. All shown in red on the attached map.

A loop that includes Eva, Parry, and Bancroft is doable. Just continue on the blue route. The ridge walk is on easy talus and grass. The descent/ascent from FRR to Bancroft is on grass-covered slopes. Just park at the location of your choosing and make a nice big loop out of it in either direction. Enjoy.
eva_map.jpg
eva_map.jpg (145.06 KiB) Viewed 421 times
Last edited by kimo on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

I've done James Peak via St Mary's glacier, and so have quite a few others on this site. Check out the trip reports for this. I skied it, so I'm guessing that won't be useful for you.

As for Eva and Parry, I did them the way you suggest, just in reverse order: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=10801 Either way would work!

Welcome to the site!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

For Bancroft, Eva, and Parry, we did the red route below (brief 5.3 and rap on Bancroft). The yellow route will keep it class 2. Might want to descend a bit further along Eva's E Ridge to keep it class 2+ maybe. Some trickiness and trail finding near the headwall above Fall River Res.

The only reason to start on the Loch Lomond road is for Bancroft's E Ridge, otherwise Kimo's route saves some vert. You could shave some distance off by combining Kimo's ascent from Fall River up Bancroft and using our descent off Eva to Fall River.
bancroftroute.jpg
bancroftroute.jpg (226.86 KiB) Viewed 377 times
Pics of route start here
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Breebee
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Breebee »

Monster5-thanks for that! Yeah I remember seeing that headwall and also checking it out on google maps and thinking..Ummm how do you climb that!

Bergsteigen-thanks for the response. Yeah for James I have only ever made it to the top of St. Marys, but this summer I want to go all the way.
Nice trip report that was very helpful!

Kimo-Awesome thanks! That map is exactly what I had in mind!
Breebee

The mountains are calling and I must go.

Faith isn't the ability to believe long and far into the misty future.
It's simply taking God at His Word and taking the next step.