Peaks with non-windy routes?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Peaks with non-windy routes?

Post by GregMiller »

Looking to get out and get on a 13er or 14er on Saturday. However, it looks a bit windy:

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/ ... casts/4399" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone have suggestions of routes that typically shelter you from the wind pretty well? For example, I know (from experience) that Whale Peak from the Gibson lake side can shelter you from the wind pretty well if you head up the gully on the East face.

Any other ideas?
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Peaks with non-windy routes?

Post by jdorje »

Any route that shelters you from the wind is likely to be avy-prone after this snow.

To stay out of the worst wind, find something a little lower (13er, 12er).
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

jdorje wrote: To stay out of the worst wind, find something a little lower (13er, 12er).
Or even lower, like below 11,500-ish, you know, like in the trees.

GMiller, just look at the forecast for where the winds are coming from, and find a ridge that will be in your favor with that forecast.
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

jdorje wrote:Any route that shelters you from the wind is likely to be avy-prone after this snow.

To stay out of the worst wind, find something a little lower (13er, 12er).
#-o and you are absolutely right. Completely forgot about wind loading. Just goes to show you how much you still have to learn even after taking Avy 1.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes