Routes similar to Kelso Ridge on Torrey's?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ian101
Trip Reports (0)

Routes similar to Kelso Ridge on Torrey's?

Post by ian101 »

Hi All - I'm starting to plan a few 14er trips for the upcoming season. I had several summits last season, but my favorite was the Kelso Ridge route on Torrey's. Can anyone recommend routes relatively close to Denver that have a similar level of difficulty and exposure? I have a few in mind after using the exposure / difficulty screeners on the site, by any firsthand recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Re: Routes similar to Kelso Ridge on Torrey's?

Post by Brian C »

Buy this book and find the class 3 routes. You will not be disappointed.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
ian101
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ian101 »

Thanks for the recommendation. Would you recommend the IPW book over his 14ers book? (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/listing/2 ... 8056617700" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Out of curiosity, do you think that there are better peaks in IPW similar to Kelso Ridge on Torrey's than there are 14ers close to Denver?
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

ian101 wrote:Thanks for the recommendation. Would you recommend the IPW book over his 14ers book? (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/listing/2 ... 8056617700" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Out of curiosity, do you think that there are better peaks in IPW similar to Kelso Ridge on Torrey's than there are 14ers close to Denver?
I think there are greater scrambling adventures to be had near Denver if you're willing to do more than 14ers. The IPW has a wonderful collection of scrambles all in a small space that is not highly traveled and closer to Denver than all but a handful of 14ers.

EDIT

Front Range 14er scrambling routes (class 3-4)
Longs Peak - The Keyhole: Class 3, Loft to Clark's Arrow: Class 4
Mt. Bierstadt - Sawtooth Ridge: Class 3, East Ridge: Class 3
Torreys Peak - Kelso Ridge: Class 3
Grays Peak - Traverse to Edwards: Class 2+
Last edited by Brian C on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

Beirstadt's East Ridge is similarly challenging but much less traveled. Bill has a nice route description up on the Bierstadt page. Search the trip reports for "tour d'abyss" for some info about a longer route that includes the East Ridge.
Where ever you are... There you are.
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ »

The East Ridge up Pettingell is easier than Kelso, but you can certainly ramp up the difficulty and exposure factor at your leisure at several points on the ridgeline. At the last steep bit before the summit, you can easily take it to class 4/low 5th on the cliffy bit, or stay left and keep it at class 3. The trailhead is literally 30 seconds off I-70 just before the tunnel, and it's a relatively short climb.

It's not close to Denver, but Ellingwood's SE ridge is a real treat. Similar climbing to Kelso, albeit much more sustained. You don't get a lot of mental break once you hit the first tough section, and the last few hundred feet to the summit can be challenging, but it's far superior to the standard route up that mountain! Probably the easiest and safest way to do some fun, mostly-solid scrambling in the Blanca/LB/Ellingwood trio...
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
schrund
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by schrund »

The West Ridge on Quandry might offer a similar flavor :wink:
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief
powhound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by powhound »

Near Breckenridge...Helen to Fr. Dyer...stay ridge proper and it is quite exciting. Then (weather permitting) down climb Fr. Dyer's "other" east ridge. This one is listed in Cooper's scramble book. This is easier and makes for a pleasant way down... and a long fun day of ridge running. If the weather looks bad from the Fr. Dyer summit, you can quickly bail between Fr. Dyer and Crystal.
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

Pacific, East Ridge
Citadel-Hagar
Lots of options in the IPW, as described above
Tenmile Traverse, Peak 1-6, could go longer down to 10.
Grizzly-Lewanee

I just realized there's no 14ers on my list :)
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

+1 to Quandary's west ridge. Maybe a little more intense than Kelso in a couple spots, but comparable. Bierstadt's east ridge is on my short list for this summer, plus Sawtooth for the Tour d'Abyss. And, not close to Denver, but Sneffels' southwest ridge was a gas, my first airy ridge route. Those plus Ellingwood's SW ridge complete my wish list for what Roach calls "sporting alternatives" - spicy ridge routes on 14ers with relatively tame standard routes.

I've only done 14ers with my once-a-year visits, but I've had my eye on that Father Dyer-Helen ridge - might be my first 13er quest some year soon. It's not far from Quandary, the two would probably make a great back-to-back combo.
Last edited by DeTour on Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
ian101
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ian101 »

Great suggestions - thanks to everyone for the responses.
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

I'll second the Father Dyer-Helen tour. It's a fun ridge.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes