Antero Winter Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mjobson
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Antero Winter Conditions?

Post by mjobson »

Climbing Antero weekend of March 8 - first snow climb.

Anyone climbed since the early Feb posting?

Also any advice on where to camp, duration, gear, etc?

Thanks!
skerryjones
14ers: 54  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Antero Winter Conditions?

Post by skerryjones »

I drove by some of the Sawatch 14ers on Feb 17 (Shavano, Tabeguache, Antero, and Princeton). In general, there was not a lot of snow. I don't know about the roads, though.
mjobson
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mjobson »

Thanks for the heads-up!
Nelson
14ers: 58  8  14 
Trip Reports (26)

Post by Nelson »

The CAIC rated the avy danger as HIGH in the Sawatch today, mainly because of the large amount of snow at Monarch (3 ft. + in the last 72 hours).

You should be checking the avy reports every day until you go.
mjobson
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mjobson »

Will do. Appreciate the suggestion. Read St. Elmo was supposed to get up to 25 inches of snow - sounds like they got more than expected.

Should make for some "fun" trail breaking...for my first snowshoe ever!
seano732
14ers: 7  4 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano732 »

We just got off Shavano yesterday (02/22), and there was a significant amount of new snow. Also, the snowpack seemed very sketchy to us, with visible natural releases on N and S aspects. I posted a peak conditions report; I'd think conditions on Antero would be somewhat similar now, but I don't know how it'll be in a couple of weeks. Peace!
" I want to be more like the Ocean, no talking and all action"- Jane's Addiction
"Where is the love, to be found?"- Bob Marley
"It's just a ride..." Bill Hicks
Coxie2210
14ers: 39  6 
13ers: 33 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Coxie2210 »

Mountain ninja and I climbed Antero a week ago. Plan on snow shoes for at least 9-10 miles out of the day. We took a rib up from where the road begins zig zagging. Plan on a long day as we topped out around 3 and were back to the two wheel drive trailhead by around 8. Good luck.
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

In a more typical year, March should start to see some stabilization. Warmer, more dry weather coming this weekend. You may have decent conditions by March 8. As Nelson said, check CAIC every day, watch how it changes, read about what layers are getting put down between now and then.

This trip is very doable in winter as a daytrip. It sounds like you want to do an overnight? I'd think camping somewhere near the stream crossing would afford some decent flat turf and a good place from which to launch the next day's efforts.

I've been on Antero twice in snow conditions, once in winter. The rib Coxie 2210 refers to is probably the same one I took. That ridge is nearly bare most of the season, due to prevailing winds.

March 2012:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

May 2012:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have fun, be safe.
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

I was up snowshoeing in St Elmo last weekend. Antero's south and west sides looked pretty clear. The north sides of all those surrounding peaks are holding a ton of snow. St Elmo had a couple feet of snow below treeline.

Be careful. They got a lot of new snow this week.
mjobson
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mjobson »

You guys are why I love this site! Thanks for all of the info and the pics. Feeling a lot more comfortable now knowing what's out there.