What are your Summer 13er goals?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Re: What are your Summer 13er goals?

Post by Matt »

TomPierce wrote:I also have plans other than 13ers for this year.
Me, too, but those are central to my plans...
In Colorado, I have seven centennials left. Finishing that list comes first, along with the nearby kickass peaks like the Trinities, Arrow, etc.
Next come 13ers with 2k of prominence that I have left: Treasure Mountain; West Elk; Jacque; Twilight Peak;South River (partners, anyone?).
Those are goals. The rest are just peaks that look like a blast.
Finishing the Ice Lake area scrambles (PK, USG, GH), a trip to Slate Lake and/or Peak C + Eagles Nest, and/or a trip back to the Lindsey area for Huerfanito/13660 all sound great.
I'm working on the lowest 100 Colorado 13ers, as well. This list is chock full of interesting peaks.
Also on the calendar already or in the works: Mauna Loa/Mauna Kea; Cloud Peak (Wyoming); Truchas Peaks (NM).
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

As of this past Sunday I now have two 'revenge' trips to undertake - Santa Fe and friends (Sullivan, Geneva, and Landslide) from Geneva Creek and James/Bancroft via St. Mary's (turned back by wind). I may try and park two cars and do the string Flora, Eva, Parry, Bancroft, James but for me, that's a long long day.

I have Rodgers, Warren, Epaulet, Epaulie, and Rosalie on my radar to finish the Evans area and I really really want to go give Pettingell, The Citadel, Hagar, and Golden Bear a go.

So all Front Range goals but who knows what the year will bring!
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
big_red_pride
14ers: 33  1 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (6)

Post by big_red_pride »

Though my summer goals mostly include 14ers...I do have a short list of 13ers I want to go for. They include Mt. Meeker, Mt. Adams, Red Mountain, and Mt. Oklahoma. If we have the kind of fall weather we have had the last 2 years then I will be spending a lot of time going after 13ers, with a focus on the closer ranges like the front range, misquito, ten mile, and sawatch.
timf
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timf »

1) Peak 1-Peak 10 traverse (maybe Crystal if my legs can hold up).
2) Mummy Mania
3) East & West Spanish (yeah only 1 is a 13er, whatever!)
AndYouSeeMe
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 209 25
Trip Reports (23)

Post by AndYouSeeMe »

Getting the hell to the San Juan's as much as possible.

Finish the front range 13ers and Sawatch and Sangre Centennials.

At least 5 Gore Peaks.

Wow, typing those plans got me excited, bring it on!

Now all I wanna know.......... Who's coming with me???? :)
mattpayne11
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

TravelingMatt wrote: So in all that's 60-70 peaks, which would put me around 200 ranked 13ers by year's end.
Jesus dude... I want your free time. :mrgreen:
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

The main goals are to finish the 13ers before Furthermore (should be close) and to crash one of Papillion's secretive hiking trips.

Wishlist (likely will only get 2/3-3/4 of them this year. 14-15 weekends estimated):

Gore
-Eagle's Nest to Powell (scramble)
-Slate Lake area 13ers (scramble/views)

Sawatch
-Finnegan to Gold Dust to Pika (scramble/views)
-Geissler/Twining loop (scramble)
-Williams traverse (scramble)

Frange
-Rabbithole, Alice (snow)
-Dreamweaver, Meeker (snow/ice)
-Blitzen Ridge

Elks
-Siberia (views)
-Hagerman SW ridge (scramble/views)

Sangres
-Crestolita N side routes (scramble/snow)
-Tijeras to Music to Milwaukee to Aislado (scramble)
-Mt Herard (Dunes views)

San Juans
-Mt Emma and surrounding peaks
-Coxcomb and surrounding peaks
-Vestal and the Trinities
-Ice Lakes basin peaks
-Jagged

Wyo
Gannett
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
mattpayne11
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

Monster5 wrote:The main goals are to finish the 13ers before Furthermore (should be close) and to crash one of Papillion's secretive hiking trips.

Wishlist (likely will only get 2/3-3/4 of them this year. 14-15 weekends estimated):

Gore

Sawatch

Frange
-Blitzen Ridge

Elks
-Siberia (views)

Sangres
-Mt Herard (Dunes views)

San Juans
-Ice Lakes basin peaks
-Jagged

Wyo
Gannett
That's a mighty fine list there. I need quite a few of those too.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Plain and Simple: WEMINUCHE (and other San Juans)
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

I like Monster's list. Can I join you?

My goal (i.e., hopes & dreams) for the summer is to get back to Colorado for an extended vacation. IF that happens, I may poach a Monster trip and maybe one of those secretive Papi trips too. If I fail at that, not all hope will be lost because I'll find other things to do. ;)
I would like to put some focus on cherry picking some peaks from my top 100 list though. And of course to add to my Gore Experience.
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

Monster5 wrote:The main goals are to finish the 13ers before Furthermore (should be close) and to crash one of Papillion's secretive hiking trips.

Gore

Sawatch

Frange
-Blitzen Ridge

Elks
-Siberia (views)

Sangres
-Mt Herard (Dunes views)

San Juans
-Ice Lakes basin peaks
-Jagged

Wyo
Gannett
I'm down for a lot of this so you might be successful. Seriously though, we should make it happen. Sexton was a pretty cool outing last summer. I don't know about your buddy FireontheMountain though. The guy pulled into Cottonwood Creek last Friday evening, made a shitload of racket and didn't even say hello. As I slept there I kept expecting him to put a brick through my windshield. But I digress...

As far as my goals, I want to disappear in the Weminuche for a full week again, preferably with a car drop. Maybe Beartown to Vallecito or Molas to Vallecito. The logistics of a big trip are pretty awesome - counting ounces and measuring calories, meal prep, miles and vert, etc.

Ultimately, whoever has the most fun wins...
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

Matt's and Monster5's lists best represent the substance and spirit of my own wishlist. But with buying a house and getting married, I've decided it's best not to create a list of mountaineering goals for this year. I'm sure that, whenever I get some free time, bergsteigen's maxim will have a strong hand in my climbing decisions:
bergsteigen wrote:where ever the weather forecast is best, I'll go!
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams