What are your Summer 13er goals?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ColoradoGuy
14ers: 22 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What are your Summer 13er goals?

Post by ColoradoGuy »

The only one I'm certain of is Kelso Mountain, by Grays and Torreys Peaks. Nothing wild.
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Papillon wrote:The guy pulled into Cottonwood Creek last Friday evening, made a shitload of racket and didn't even say hello. As I slept there I kept expecting him to put a brick through my windshield. But I digress
THAT WAS YOU!? In the crv thingy?? It was like 10pm...where were the Papperson party pants I've heard so much about?

Sorry but I tried to stay quiet and I thought I wasn't up and about for too long. So I gather you slept up there then hit the Kit TH in the morning?

Monsters list is alright I guess. :wink:

If I may, Ice lakes basin is better with snow, less of a damn choss fest especially if you love those Centennial things. Boggster and I had a good trip up there this past spring. Still need Pilot Knob and Golden Horn though.

Finnegan-Pike-Gold Dust for sure on list.

Wheres the spring snow climb goal list???
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

I'm just giving you a hard time. Did you sleep across your front seat? I heard you start your car but didn't want to check the time. We started way too late on Saturday and I underestimated the amount of snow up there. We got it on Sunday so all is well. I had never been down there before and got worried about navigating the zen lands in the dark. The whole area had a Spahn Ranch vibe...

Monster, that list is no bulls**t. You are wise way beyond your years and I will hike with you any day.
Tempelton
14ers: 52 
13ers: 92
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Tempelton »

My goal is to repeat Mt. Rogers from Summit Lake, maybe even get to Mt. Warren too for a repeat. Also, if I have time, Mt. Sniktau.

But really, I'd like to do as many new 13ers as I can, anywhere. Wild Basin ones would be sweet, as well as some Gore ones. And of course anything in the San Juans is money.

Is anyone else a teacher who likes 13ers on summer weekdays? :-D
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

Tempelton wrote:Is anyone else a teacher who likes 13ers on summer weekdays? :-D
I am! Not really focusing on 13ers but am never opposed to a good outing. Let me know if you ever need a summer partner.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
Kent McLemore
14ers: 11 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Kent McLemore »

Tempelton wrote: Is anyone else a teacher who likes 13ers on summer weekdays? :-D
There's some teacher on here named Gladbach who claims to like 13ers. :)
-km
DanR
14ers: 33 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (4)

Post by DanR »

Tempelton wrote:Is anyone else a teacher who likes 13ers on summer weekdays? :-D
Not a teacher, but I'm probably going to be working Wednesday-Saturday and therefore have Sunday-Tuesday off
Alpine
14ers: 55 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Alpine »

I want to focus on IPW and RMNP east side peaks for a while so thinking of starting with some sort of a "Ring Around the Basin" idea:

Meeker 13911
Pagoda 13497
Chief’s Head 13579
Alice 13310
Tanima 12420
Isolation 13118
Mahana 12632
Copeland 13176
Ogalalla 13138
Elk Tooth 12848
St. Vrain Mountain 12,162
Meadow Mountain 11,632

I need to do the research but want to string some of these together into long day trips.
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day
sanjuanmtneer
14ers: 58 
13ers: 664
Trip Reports (2)

Post by sanjuanmtneer »

Finish the Elks: Clark, White BM, Malemute, Daly, 13,244 & 13,060 (6).
Finish the Gore: Silverthorne, X, Z, C, Red, N, & Keller (7).
Several between San Luis & Spring Creek Pass (San Juans).
For fun and laughs: at least 2 trail building projects probably with CFI or VOC (yes, I know those aren't 13ers).
That will probably exhaust my vacation time :(
doggler
14ers: 57  8 
13ers: 162 7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by doggler »

I'm laying off the run training this summer to focus on more mountain goals.

Maybe it's a pipe dream, but thinking a Salida-to-South Colony (or thereabouts) Sangre ridge run over the course of a few days would be immensely satisfying. I'm really excited to get to the Music Pass 13ers - Milwaukee ranks up there as one of my favorite climbs ever - but would probably choose to make that its own trip.

Lightning->Thunder->Pyramid. Starting with Shoemaker would be even cooler, but I fear my eyes may be too big for my stomach there.

Jagged, the Trinities + Vestal, Storm King, Silex, Guardian, and all the other fun in the Weminuche.

Dallas and Teakettle.

Basically, I want to cherry-pick all the 'fun' climbs.
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

Papillon wrote:
I'm down for a lot of this so you might be successful. Seriously though, we should make it happen. Sexton was a pretty cool outing last summer. I don't know about your buddy FireontheMountain though. The guy pulled into Cottonwood Creek last Friday evening, made a shitload of racket and didn't even say hello. As I slept there I kept expecting him to put a brick through my windshield. But I digress...

As far as my goals, I want to disappear in the Weminuche for a full week again, preferably with a car drop. Maybe Beartown to Vallecito or Molas to Vallecito. The logistics of a big trip are pretty awesome - counting ounces and measuring calories, meal prep, miles and vert, etc.

Ultimately, whoever has the most fun wins...
Car drops in the Weminuche are the best. I want to do more of those myself.
ChicagoMike
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChicagoMike »

Gannett Peak has been on my list for a long time.