Good snowshoeing near Boulder?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Vids
14ers: 11 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Good snowshoeing near Boulder?

Post by Vids »

Looking for a little advice for a good area to snowshoe this weekend. We will be up near Boulder/Golden area, and want to get out for a couple of hours. Some place that will have decent snow, and not too strenuous. It will be my wife's first adventure after having our second kid a couple of months ago, so something fun but not too difficult at this point. We are from Parker and rarely hike the northern Front Range areas, so really have no idea what's up there.

Thanks for any suggestions!
OnyourLeft
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Good snowshoeing near Boulder?

Post by OnyourLeft »

The Brainard Lake area north of Nederland and about 1 hour west of Boulder has great snowshoeing trails. It's right off the Peak to Peak Hwy at the town of Ward.
Vids
14ers: 11 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vids »

Thanks, but it would need to be closer than that. We are leaving a 2 month and a 2 1/2 year old with their grandparents while we snowshoe, for their sanity we need to be about 3 hours door to door.

I was thinking of something right outside of Golden, or near the Flatirons. I've hiked Golden Gate area a few times, is that about the best bet by Golden?
MaximusAndMe
14ers: 54 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MaximusAndMe »

Check out White Ranch Open Space Park - very close with lots of trail options.
Alpineair
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Alpineair »

Or Eldorado Canyon or Mesa Trail right off 93.
Adverse conditions may exist-CDOT
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Drive south on 93 (extension of Broadway) and park at one of the half dozen parking lots you see on the way to Golden. Then walk around there if the snow looks good enough. The chinook winds and 50 degree temps may evaporate most of this snow by Sunday.

Otherwise you have to drive up the canyon to 119 to find colder areas like Nederland or Branaird.. Dead Man Days Festival is a week from now in that area.
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

Vids wrote:Thanks, but it would need to be closer than that. We are leaving a 2 month and a 2 1/2 year old with their grandparents while we snowshoe, for their sanity we need to be about 3 hours door to door.

I was thinking of something right outside of Golden, or near the Flatirons. I've hiked Golden Gate area a few times, is that about the best bet by Golden?

I went up and hiked around the flatirons two weeks ago and i could have done it in tennis shoes. there wasn't much snow. that has obviously changed since this last storm, but there wasn't a whole lot. I'd go back into Eldora/Nederland area
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

From Golden maybe drive to Evergreen and snowshoe around Elk Meadows? Or around Centennial Cone? Google Jefferson County open space for info