Toughest 14ers to go down

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sheller
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (0)

Toughest 14ers to go down

Post by sheller »

I've heard that there are a number of 14ers that are tougher going down then up. I'm curious as to which ones you'd rank as the worse going down. Not technical down climbing, but rather ranked based on nastiness, slipperyness, talus- ness, blue toe nail causing slopes. So far I would say-

Columbia- standard
Sunshine- went down a non- standard cairned route that got a bit steep and had a very slippery talus section
Bross- standard

I have not done any in the Wilson group nor Challenger and am pretty curious as to how you'd rank these.
Jim Davies
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Toughest 14ers to go down

Post by Jim Davies »

The standard route on Maroon Peak was a pain in the butt, literally. 2000 feet of sloping scree and braided trails.

Challenger isn't as bad if you stay out of the gully and descend the west shoulder instead.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
randalmartin
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

The Lindsey gully was pretty bad. I went up the NW Ridge route but down the gully. If I had to do it over I would come down the same way I went up.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

With my knees, I would say they are ALL bad going down :) But that gully on Lindsey has got to rank right up there.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

South Maroon for sure. It was like descending 4 Bross'.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
kansas
Trip Reports (4)

Post by kansas »

Snowmass West Slopes
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer
sheller
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sheller »

I'm a little surprised about Lindsey. I agree it stunk going down, but I thought Columbia was so much worse and definitely more taxing, but then again while going down Lindsey I stayed more to the left on the firmer rock. I guess everyone experiences these climbs differently. :-k
sheller
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sheller »

Kansas- your response reminded me that I forgot to put down my favorite one to go down. Which was Snowmass- glissading down in 30 mins was a blast. :-D
carson_h
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 64 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by carson_h »

I'll second Maroon Peak. The upper part of the route is relatively slow going on the ascent and descent as expected; however, descending the East slope back to the Valley was nasty. It starts with loose rock and ends with slick dirt. I would start extra early to ensure that you're down in the valley before the afternoon showers roll in.

-Carson
its_not_a_tuba
14ers: 36  1  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by its_not_a_tuba »

Holy Cross, because you have to go up to go down.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson
Jeremy Bauman
14ers: 26 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Jeremy Bauman »

When I climbed Bross a few June's ago (2009), I seem to remember glissading down a couloir off the summit. It made getting back to the car much easier.

Jeremy
JB99
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (21)

Post by JB99 »

I haven't made the summit of Maroon, turned around right at the top of the East Slopes (for what turned out to be harmless clouds), but that descent earns the title from me for sure. Snowmass' West Slopes is up there among the worst, too.
Last edited by JB99 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."