slow park openings due to budget constraints

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Re: slow park openings due to budget constraints

Post by EatinHardtack »

DaveSwink wrote:
winmag4582001 wrote:If you employ them, they 100% qualify for unemployment after you lay them off. Not sure who told you they don't, but if one of your employees raises a stink about it.
In Colorado, the answer seems to be "it depends".
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?c= ... DLEWrapper
Thank you for the link. This explains it pretty good on the state website winmag4582001.

And on a side note. I do not mind unemployment benefits for seasonals or the govt paying for them. It Just depends on the circumstances per each company or job. Thank you to whom ever above that stated Government seasonals do get unemployment benefits, I did not know that. I do know for my industry you cannot qualify for these benefits when hired as a Seasonal worker with start and ending dates.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
climbingaggie03
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingaggie03 »

EatinHardtack wrote:
DaveSwink wrote:
winmag4582001 wrote:If you employ them, they 100% qualify for unemployment after you lay them off. Not sure who told you they don't, but if one of your employees raises a stink about it.
In Colorado, the answer seems to be "it depends".
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?c= ... DLEWrapper
Thank you for the link. This explains it pretty good on the state website winmag4582001.

And on a side note. I do not mind unemployment benefits for seasonals or the govt paying for them. It Just depends on the circumstances per each company or job. Thank you to whom ever above that stated Government seasonals do get unemployment benefits, I did not know that. I do know for my industry you cannot qualify for these benefits when hired as a Seasonal worker with start and ending dates.

I'm guessing you're talking about the ski industry? I can tell you from personal experience that even though they tell you you can't have unemployment after the season is over, that all you have to do is fill out the paperwork and you will get unemployment. Also it does vary by state, but usually the employers pay the majority of unemployment benefits (which is why they make you sign saying that you won't collect unemployment)
EatinHardtack
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

climbingaggie03 wrote:
I'm guessing you're talking about the ski industry? I can tell you from personal experience that even though they tell you you can't have unemployment after the season is over, that all you have to do is fill out the paperwork and you will get unemployment. Also it does vary by state, but usually the employers pay the majority of unemployment benefits (which is why they make you sign saying that you won't collect unemployment)
It is not the ski industry. I also do realize that employers pay the majority of the unemployment benefits. I have had seasonal employees request unemployment before, each has been denied. Not saying that I agree with it though as times are still tough out there for employment.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Colorado's UE requirement says at least $2500 earned in the previous 12 months. Could be all in one week or $50 a week.
There are two formuals for the weekly benefit: best two quarters divided by 43 or four quarters divided by 104. 10% higher cutoff for the 2nd formula.
EatinHardtack
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

peter303 wrote:Colorado's UE requirement says at least $2500 earned in the previous 12 months. Could be all in one week or $50 a week.
There are two formuals for the weekly benefit: best two quarters divided by 43 or four quarters divided by 104. 10% higher cutoff for the 2nd formula.
](*,) ^^^again if you are designated a Full-time employee. I'm done.
edhaman
14ers: 15 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by edhaman »

It's been abundantly obvious for years, and especially on the internet, that there are no basic requirements to be a "journalist" (or an editor who writes headlines). This is not news to me. Of course, there are only a couple of more requirements to be President.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Dex wrote:Compare medicine, law or accounting to journalism. Medicine, etc require specialized education, advance degrees, testing, and life long education.
And you still get malpractice, insufficient counsel, and high fees to "pay off" all that education and certification from self-regulating bodies. Would you rather someone have to take six+ years of college, join a guild, and navigate regulations before they're allowed to exercise freedom of speech (or post)?
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
Jump Roper
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jump Roper »

I'm waiting on pins and needles to hear about a seasonal park ranger job that I've applied for. I had to go through interview process and everything but they can't tell me if they are going to be able to hire me or not for two more weeks. (the pain) It is hard to think that they know who they want to hire but can't say anything until a magical date in March.
"Hold on Chuck, we're almost there."
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Dex nailed it. Gotta weigh the opportunity cost of not being open (mostly foregone revenues from fees and concessions) vs the cost of not operating the plows.

But I cannot imagine that even the great Yellowstone generates 30k in daily revenues in spring.
TallGrass
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Dex wrote:It isn't an issue of perfection or freedom of speeh. It is an issue of knowledge. When the USA began bloodletting was good medicine. It has grown to specialitist from head to toe. Yet, a journalism hasn't changed from then to now.
Having a journalism background, I can tell you that is just as ill-informed as what you are purportedly decrying (in addition to containing five errors). Seems you're overlooking peer-review journals (for one) and why pseudo-medicine still exists and sells. No matter how much tools advance, human nature ... :wink: Regardless of budget or benefits, if there's a will to open the park roads "on time," there's a way.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
John Landers
Trip Reports (1)

Post by John Landers »

Hungry Jack wrote:Dex nailed it. Gotta weigh the opportunity cost of not being open (mostly foregone revenues from fees and concessions) vs the cost of not operating the plows.

But I cannot imagine that even the great Yellowstone generates 30k in daily revenues in spring.
The government does not work by cost versus benefit analysis. The cuts / actions are intended to be as noticeable to the public as possible to justify the government's existence, growth and desire for higher taxes.
TallGrass
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Dex wrote:And I can tell you from working in TV network news and TV network Sports
Ah, yes. Crème de la crème investigative journalism there rehashing the AP wire with 10-second sound bites followed by the local football scores just like they did in 1776 when ratings were king. Remember when ol' Ben finally got the Pulitzer in 1758 for Poor Richard's Almanac?
Dex wrote:The idea that a journalist, without the proper knowledge can do a proper analysis of a medical issue one day ...
Oh let's just make a Strawman then generalize to the entire profession (not to mention all media) blissfully ignoring the countless journalists who cover beats or specialize in certain areas like medicine. When was the last time Sanjay Gupta gave the latest Broncos recap, Thomas Friedman did the weather, or Anthony Shadid covered the latest traffic accident on I-70?
Dex wrote:This situation will not change so you job is safe.
:roll: