pikes peak trail conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
maxpatch67
Trip Reports (0)

pikes peak trail conditions

Post by maxpatch67 »

Anyone know trail conditions this week on Pikes Peak? I plan on climbing Thursday or Friday.
doggler
14ers: 57  8 
13ers: 162 7
Trip Reports (25)

Re: pikes peak trail conditions

Post by doggler »

maxpatch67 wrote:Anyone know trail conditions this week on Pikes Peak? I plan on climbing Thursday or Friday.
Crags or Barr?
LynnKH
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (4)

Post by LynnKH »

If you are asking about Barr, as of this weekend it was mostly dry until about 5 miles in, then lots of ice to Barr Camp. I didn't go any higher but others said the ice continues with just a few sections of deeper snow drifts to the summit. Screw shoes or spikes definitely advised.
maxpatch67
Trip Reports (0)

Post by maxpatch67 »

doggler wrote:
maxpatch67 wrote:Anyone know trail conditions this week on Pikes Peak? I plan on climbing Thursday or Friday.
Crags or Barr?
Barr.....is that the one from manitou springs? I think thats the one were planning on. I'm from Tennessee and need some info quick so I can prepare my gear. Thanks.

Maybe a dumb question, but I have crampons and snowshoes available. Which would you bring on the hike? Do think its easier to leave super early in the morning and do it all in one day with just a day pack or pack in and camp overnight?
MuchosPixels
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MuchosPixels »

Its actually not bad to go up in one day...but up AND down in one day its tough. I did the Barr trail on the last week of march 2011 and micro spikes were needed above Barr Camp. I saw some people with snowshoes but I never felt the need. Once you get to A-Frame the trail will most likely be covered in snow this time of year. I went straight up the gully or on the rocks just next to it. If there is snow and ice on the delicate alpine tundra its protected from damage by walking so stick to snow/ice.