Marshall Pass Road Conditions / Mt. Ouray

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
carson_h
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 64 6
Trip Reports (0)

Marshall Pass Road Conditions / Mt. Ouray

Post by carson_h »

It looks like Mt. Ouray from the Marshall Pass trailhead would be a safe winter route, but I can't find any information about road conditions. How far up Marshall pass road could I drive with a stock 4x4 (tacoma)?

thanks!

-Carson
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Marshall Pass Road Conditions / Mt. Ouray

Post by jdorje »

I doubt you can get to the pass at ~11000; that area looks to have more snow than most around it. The road is easily walkable no doubt but rather long.

There might be some avalanche risk between treeline and the ridge. However there are a lot of lines you can take (above and below treeline) so maybe it can be avoided.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
carson_h
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 64 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by carson_h »

I was hoping that the road would be maintained up to lake O'haver at least. Once you get on the south slopes of Mt. Ouray, the slope angle is <26 so I don't think an avalanche would be likely; however, there are few steep spots on the road (below treeline) that would be an issue. It's starting to sound like I'll have to wait for spring...

Thanks!

-Carson
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

I have no idea how far up the road is maintained. I doubt it's to the pass.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

you won't get anywhere near the pass. You might be able to get to o'haver, but anything higher than that and it'll be too deep.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rarefied
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rarefied »

ajkagy wrote:you won't get anywhere near the pass. You might be able to get to o'haver, but anything higher than that and it'll be too deep.
Concur.

Besides, there is a gate right there at O'Haver and I would expect it to be closed at this time.

R