Little Bear via West Ridge Direct?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Little Bear via West Ridge Direct?

Post by Tornadoman »

As a lot of us know, the standard route for Little Bear starts on the west ridge and then deviates below the ridge crest and of course up through the Hourglass. Has anyone stayed on the west ridge and climbed that ridge directly all the way to the summit avoiding the Hourglass in this method? In pictures it looks like a gnarly ridge, but I don't see any immediate reason why it wouldn't be at least possible.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Little Bear via West Ridge Direct?

Post by TomPierce »

I'm not 100% certain, but I thought I saw a post here or on another climbing site that Ken Nolan had downclimbed the west ridge. I could be wrong on that, a vague recollection. I think Johnson on this site had wanted to try it, not sure if he ever got around to it. I'm sure it's been done, it's too obvious a route on a peak with relatively high traffic.

Funny, I was looking at a photo of that ridge last night from a recent TR here and thought the same thing, possibly a sportier but safer route? If you or others would like to try it, I'm very interested, I just like exploring new or lightly traveled routes.

-Tom
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

I've heard pretty much the same thing from Ken. That it goes exposed 4th class. Don't know about protection though.
It might make for a good ascent route and repel the Hourglass.
It IS high on my list later this spring to tackle though.
planet54
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

I did most of it way back in 1982.I was with a friend who could climb like a monkey so I kinda followed him .We got high enough to avoid the Hourglass on the way up but cliffed out and traversed over to the route above the Hourglass.Class 4 for sure but we didn't always look for the easiest way.I do remember doing a pullup over a drop that was certain death,no protection.The rock was good for holds for the most part.We came down the Hourglass.
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
Johnson
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Tom... Kiefer...still dreaming of it. How bout June?
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

I'm very interested, seriously. But I wouldn't want to go much beyond early-mid June, I think working that ridge could take some time, esp if on the descent there was an interest in setting the route, i.e. cleaning it a bit, building a few cairns; too much risk of lightning if we drift into July/Aug>. But if you'd like to go in June, absent the unforeseen, I'm definitely in. Let me know.
-Tom
planet54
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

TomPierce wrote:I think working that ridge could take some time
One of the reasons we took that route was because there was a big CMC group ahead of us. We didn't want to get caught up in a big mess at the Hourglass. We summited well before any of the CMC climbers. Of course ,what is not known to me is what is beyond where we veered off. I think that route will go. :)
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

TomPierce wrote:I'm not 100% certain, but I thought I saw a post here or on another climbing site that Ken Nolan had downclimbed the west ridge. I could be wrong on that, a vague recollection. I think Johnson on this site had wanted to try it, not sure if he ever got around to it. I'm sure it's been done, it's too obvious a route on a peak with relatively high traffic.

Funny, I was looking at a photo of that ridge last night from a recent TR here and thought the same thing, possibly a sportier but safer route? If you or others would like to try it, I'm very interested, I just like exploring new or lightly traveled routes.

-Tom
I would love to try that route but don't think I am ready for something so ambitious. I have yet to try a class 4 route (have a couple planned for this Summer), so a low beta 4th class would probably be over my limit. Also, I doubt my Kansas lungs could keep up with your pace! I decided a long time ago that I am not going to do the hourglass. Obviously the SW ridge would be an option, but I am interested in any intelligence on the west ridge!
planet54 wrote:I did most of it way back in 1982.I was with a friend who could climb like a monkey so I kinda followed him .We got high enough to avoid the Hourglass on the way up but cliffed out and traversed over to the route above the Hourglass.Class 4 for sure but we didn't always look for the easiest way.I do remember doing a pullup over a drop that was certain death,no protection.The rock was good for holds for the most part.We came down the Hourglass.
Awesome! That sounds like an interesting route!
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Barry, Tom,
Let's say we tentively schedule this for sometime in mid-May?
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Kiefer: Barry and I have swapped a few texts, he's thinking early June before the monsoon. So mid-May > June is fine with me. I'd like to make this a 2013 goal, the routefinding is very appealing to me.
-Tom