The Incline - worth the trip?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
vallejoclmbr
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

The Incline - worth the trip?

Post by vallejoclmbr »

Living in Denver I've heard about this "incline" for a couple years now. Is it worth the trip down to the Springs? Sounds like it's about an hr hike up. Are there other trails ect to hit as well near it?
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Re: The Incline - worth the trip?

Post by jomagam »

There's this thing called Pikes Peak in that area :lol: I wouldn't go just for the Incline unless you think that climbing stairs outdoors is worth an hour drive.
doggler
14ers: 57  8 
13ers: 162 7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by doggler »

jomagam wrote:There's this thing called Pikes Peak in that area :lol: I wouldn't go just for the Incline unless you think that climbing stairs outdoors is worth an hour drive.
You wouldn't, but thousands of people do for just that reason.

There is nothing quite like the incline anywhere in the United States.
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

Hit up Rocky Mountain - a short trip from the top of the Incline. Mt Manitou is also a quick add on.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

The top of the mountain above the Incline has some impressively large boulders that you can climb on, and great views.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
vallejoclmbr
14ers: 51 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by vallejoclmbr »

bouldering and some extras at the top - sounds worth it to me.

thanks all!
schrund
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by schrund »

In answer to you question about other trails, the Barr Trailhead is about a couple of hundred yards from the start of the incline -very close. Each time I've done it I've descended the Barr Trail instead of coming down the steps - you can connect at the top.
Last edited by schrund on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief
Vermont Mike
14ers: 36 
13ers: 32 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Vermont Mike »

You could also add a few miles to the trip by heading up the Barr Trail to Barr Camp, then run the 7 miles back down the Barr Trail. Or you could go explore Red Rock Canyon open space on your way back to I-25. You can technically access hundreds of miles of trails from the start of the incline without ever having to hop back in your car. If you're interested in coming back and spending more time down here after doing the Incline, grab yourself a Pikes Peak Atlas.
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

vallejoclmbr wrote:Living in Denver I've heard about this "incline" for a couple years now. Is it worth the trip down to the Springs? Sounds like it's about an hr hike up. Are there other trails ect to hit as well near it?
The incline is an awesome workout and depending on the weather I usually hit it 1-3 times a week. My favorite time is early in the morning when there is less traffic, less tourist & more parking. The whole experience can be a bit of a circus so to say it's worth your trip from Denver is subjective. Link below has some of the stats and a topo, also I linked a GoPro clip I made a few years back...

http://www.hikingintherockies.com/hikin ... ncline.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zdero1
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 85 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zdero1 »

I would PM cookiehiker and osoblanco. They've done the incline numerous times.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

I supposed I've only done the incline like 3 Times. On your way home, grab some Rudy's BBQ to fuel up. And you can get gas there, too. :p

People approach it in any number of ways. Some people take their time, others never stop. Some people are trying for a new PR, others don't time it at all.
Beware the false summit, about 3/4 of the way up. Also don't trip on the eroded pipes. It's pretty cool though.

I think TMatthews is the official incline referee, make sure you get approval before you set foot on his turf.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
carson_h
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 64 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by carson_h »

I love the incline. I usually continue up to Barr Camp then descend the Barr trail. Rudy's BBQ is always part of the program. My only issue with the incline is parking -- arrive early or late. Parking enforcement in Manitou is aggressive!!!