Willow Lake Ridge Run?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Willow Lake Ridge Run?

Post by screeman57 »

Has anyone here done the ridge traverse around Willow Lake? I haven't found any reports on it here or elsewhere, but it looks so good I can't imagine it hasn't been done before. To be specific, I mean ascending Mt. Adams' W. ridge from Willow Lake, then traversing South to Obstruction Pt., then East to Kitty Kat, Columbia Pt., Kit Carson, and Challenger (or in the other direction). Looks like a long day above 13,500 ft., w/ about 5-6 miles of ridge.

If anyone has some information on just the portion of the ridge btw. Mt. Adams and Obstruction, that would be helpful.

Looking for something fun to do come summer--if anybody is interested in giving this a go, let me know!
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Willow Lake Ridge Run?

Post by jdorje »

http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26036" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

13580 to 13517 : "very exposed class 4"
13517 to 13541: class 2
13541 to 133xx: looks like class 2
133xx to Obstruction: unknown, but looks far more gnarly than any other section

Look up trip reports of 13541.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
screeman57
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

Thanks--your photos from the KC trip report are helpful. Definitely looks long and challenging (pun intended), but probably worth a try.
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Marmot72 »

Screeman,
I did a TR on the ridge as far as I made it in Sept '12 - didn't manage to reach Obstruction, but I began from the N Crestone Lake drainage. Also wasted abour 45 minutes trying to "quickly" drop to the saddle between Adams and the unnamed 13ers to the west. Anyway, you can see some up close shots of the ridge.

-Steve
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.
screeman57
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

Excellent, thanks! It looks quite forbidding, but I still might give it a try. Care to go up there again?
screeman57
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

That's an excellent report, and will be very helpful. The crux certainly seems to be between your mini-mountain (point 13.3) and Obstruction. Need a great weather day to close the entire circle.