Trip planning for mid-May

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
vsigler
Trip Reports (0)

Trip planning for mid-May

Post by vsigler »

I am planning to climb Torreys/Grays Peak via Dead Dog Couloir, and the North Face of Mt. Evans while I am in the area in Mid-May. At that time of year, how accessible are the Grays Peak- and Summit Lake trailheads? I am also open to attempting other steep couloirs elsewhere, so suggestions are welcome. Planning on camping, as well. My only limitation is that I will be based in Denver for a conference and will have about three days to climb. So to maximize my time, the closer to Denver the better. I will also have a friend meeting me who will need to rent some gear (ice axe, crampons)...any suggestions on gear rental shops?
Thanks in advance.
Von
Nelson
14ers: 58  8  14 
Trip Reports (26)

Re: Trip planning for mid-May

Post by Nelson »

You usually can get about half way to the Grays TH meaning you have 3 miles round trip extra. In a low snow year like this one you might make it to the TH.

Other snow climbs near Denver are the Lost Rat on Grays and the Cristo Couloir on Quandary.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

The road up Mt Evans (gated at Echo Lake) is generally not open until Memorial Day.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
vsigler
Trip Reports (0)

Post by vsigler »

Thanks for the info.
I will be there around May 20th. Assuming I can get far enough on Stevens Gulch Rd. to hike in and establish a camp near the foot of Kelso Mountain, does the following itinerary sound feasible?
Afternoon of day one: hike in and establish camp. Overnight.
Day two: Climb Torreys Peak via Dead Dog Couloir, descend via Kelso Ridge (do people descend the ridge?) to the Kelso saddle, then climb Kelso Mountain. Descend to camp. Overnight.
Day three: Ascend Goatfinger Couloir to Mt. Edwards, traverse to Greys Peak. Descend Greys Peak from Greys/Torreys Saddle back to camp.
It seems like the best way to maximize my few days in the Front Range. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Von
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

vsigler wrote:Thanks for the info.
I will be there around May 20th. Assuming I can get far enough on Stevens Gulch Rd. to hike in and establish a camp near the foot of Kelso Mountain, does the following itinerary sound feasible?
Afternoon of day one: hike in and establish camp. Overnight.
Day two: Climb Torreys Peak via Dead Dog Couloir, descend via Kelso Ridge (do people descend the ridge?) to the Kelso saddle, then climb Kelso Mountain. Descend to camp. Overnight.
Day three: Ascend Goatfinger Couloir to Mt. Edwards, traverse to Greys Peak. Descend Greys Peak from Greys/Torreys Saddle back to camp.
It seems like the best way to maximize my few days in the Front Range. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Von
People do descend Kelso ridge, but I'd think twice about it given the spring snow the Front Range has had. Particularly since you won't be ascending it to asses the conditions. It's not the best descent route even when dry.

That said, it does melt out early (with shadowed pockets here and there), and it will be a month from now. There will probably be some current beta on it then.

Just my opinion, of course.
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.