Stewart Peak May 12th/ Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Cthulhu 2008
14ers: 58  13  13 
13ers: 119 12 5
Trip Reports (4)

Stewart Peak May 12th/ Conditions?

Post by Cthulhu 2008 »

I am thinking of going after Stewart Peak Sunday May 12th (and getting Baldy Alto too) via Nutras Creek. Partners are welcome for folks without Mothers Day plans.

Any thoughts on conditions? I assume the road will be open by then?

I would consider a Stewart Creek approach if there are snow concerns as that route looks to be more traveled with the San Luis traffic. My plan is to mountain bike Saturday in Gunnison, then head to the TH to camp out for a Sunday morning ascent.

Cheers, Andy
Cthulhu 2008 - Why Vote For A Lesser Evil
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Stewart Peak May 12th/ Conditions?

Post by TaylorHolt »

Judging by trailhead reports in past years, it seems that the road doesn't open up 'til mid-to-late May. Not sure what it looks like for this year though. Would definitely be worth checking into before you finalize plans.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer