Torrey's this weekend

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jaymi
14ers: 48 
Trip Reports (0)

Torrey's this weekend

Post by Jaymi »

Quick question about avalanche conditions on Torrey's this weekend. I was on the last part of the ridge on the standard route just before Gray's summit cone last weekend and there was a small (short) section that just seemed too soft to me, so I turned around. There has obviously been snow this week and I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on conditions this weekend. I am aware of CAIC and ALWAYS turn around when in doubt. Will most likely be hiking solo (with appropriate safety precautions). Thanks!
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Re: Torrey's this weekend

Post by CO Native »

What exactly are "appropriate safety precautions" for avalanches when hiking solo?
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by larkinrx2 »

CO Native wrote:What exactly are "appropriate safety precautions" for avalanches when hiking solo?
stay home and :iluvbeer:
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
viejo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by viejo »

CO Native wrote:What exactly are "appropriate safety precautions" for avalanches when hiking solo?

Things like evaluating snow pack, looking at slope angles, checking alpha angle in a run out, looking for signs of recent runs, checking for signs and sounds of instability, conservative route selection, awareness of rollers, sloughing and cornices.

Basically all the same precautions that should be taken when traveling with others. Avalanche resue and beacon proficiency are certainly important, but are secondary to making the choices that will keep one out of the avalanche in the first place.
paxtonsnjones27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by paxtonsnjones27 »

I can't think of a safer mountain to climb besides Quandry. The major concern is deep snow areas. Don't get near them. There definitely have been some blizzards up there recently, but I think areas of windblown have to be accessible the whole way up. I had something come up and I was going to try and do the Kelso Ridge up to Torreys. If you are having to hike under a cornice slope or obvious wind loaded area I would stay off even though it will probably take more than one person to trigger a slide. I personally was counting on traversing on the wind blown side of Kelso mountain to reach the saddle of Kelso ridge. No avy danger traversing the ridge and this would add to the excitement. :-D PS: The weather looks to be possibly snowy...don't get lost. That is probably your biggest concern. Bring a GPS. Hope this helps and you sound smart if you can turn around before a summit...the most important knowledge a person can have when avy danger is involved in my opinion. Impressive...good job!
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

I don't have any recent info on conditions up there, but I will say in the past, one area in particular to keep an eye on is the southern flank of Kelso as you are approaching Grays/Torreys. Sun gets on it fairly early and wet slides would be in the front of my mind any time I was below it. The only other area I can think of is the Torreys spur of the trail that takes you up to the saddle. That face is just steep enough to take you a long way down through rocky terrain if it went. Maybe climb Torreys via saddle while it's still early enough the snow isn't too warm, combo over to Grays up the shoulder, and descend Grays standard rioute to avoid spur?

Again, I don't have any idea of current conditions, but those are the two spots I have kept a close eye on in my experience.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

I was up there on Monday and there was a large slide that was very recent coming off of the North slopes of Kelso and completely covering the Steven's Gulch road for maybe 200ft. There was a good 10ft of debris on the road. Kind of scary when you think of the general consensus on this forum that "Grays & Torreys is always safe." This slide could have been problematic, as is the slope going around Kelso that proved fatal several years ago.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
Mountainfreak4465
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mountainfreak4465 »

I've been thinking about heading up that way myself, but can't do this weekend. If you go up Steven's Gulch, snap some pics of the dead dog if you don't mind. Have a good trip.
paxtonsnjones27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by paxtonsnjones27 »

I agree with I-Man with the concerns of working your way up through the valley with avalanche worries on both sides of you. However, walking in the middle was my idea and this puts you in a spot where you won't be triggering an avalanche from below. However, I skin in so I can ski. Due to the "trap door collapsing snow" this might prove to be a major pain in the butt. The avy danger is not high and not extreme. The chances of you being in the wrong place at the wrong time is unlikely. Natural slides are very unlikely at this time. According to the weather during your plan of ascent things are not going to be hot out or sunny. Yes, wet slides are a big issue when the snow pack has not become hard and glacier like. So do be careful if the sun comes out because it doesn't have to be warm for the snow to get slushy in the sunshine.
chrismjx
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by chrismjx »

Pics and beta would be fantastic as I was thinking of heading up that way as well...
Jaymi
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jaymi »

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and perspective. I will try and take some pics along the way to share if I make some good progress.

Happy Hiking! :-D
Jaymi
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jaymi »

Here's a little info from yesterday:
Arrived at 0610. Road was still too icy/snowy to get far (I have a Jeep). On the way down, I saw a Jeep made it to the Grays Peak sign (Grizzly Gulch turnoff?). The snow is starting to melt and there are more and more patches opening up on the side of the road on the way to the summer TH. The snow was compacted enough for spikes/boots all the way to summer TH. Changed to snowshoes and continued up to last sign before shoulder. Again snow was pretty well frozen in the AM. I was there last weekend and clearly the snow had melted a bit (more of sign showing). Old Tracks were visible and solid/stable even on ridge. Felt very safe. I was also lucky to have a very nice couple in front of me the whole way that really helped break trail (thanks Jeff/Lori, good luck on Denali and Cho!). Wind was slight and weather was nice in AM. Decided not to traverse from below Gray's summit to saddle based on recommendations here and concerns over snowpack stability on the upper traverse slope (and I was pretty tired). Summited Gray's at 12:25ish (yes, I'm slow) and descended quickly as clouds were moving in. It snowed lightly most of the way down, covering tracks a little but not completely. Overall, an awesome day in the mountains. I'm no expert (and very conservative) but I would still be very careful with the snowpack on steep slopes in this area. My pics from my Apple Iphone are too big to post but if anyone wants them, let me know and I will be happy to email. Happy hiking!