Summer Trip

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtnjam
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Summer Trip

Post by mtnjam »

Shavano and Tab are good. There is nice camping near the trailhead or up the trail a couple of miles. Salida is a great mountain town. It should be a good time.
http://www.cloudhiking.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stephen Butler
14ers: 18 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Stephen Butler »

As we are getting closer to our trip I have made a couple adjustments. Let me know what you think. Does the order of these peaks make logistical sense? We could also do them in reverse order but I would rather do Sneffels than Shav/Tab if we have to drop a day due to weather or a need for another rest day. Also, we will be driving a Hyundai Santa Fe 2WD.

Day 1: Climb Sneffels from Yankee Boy Basin
Day 2: Climb Handies from Silver Creek/Grizzly Gulch
Day 3: Climb Redcloud & Sunshine from Silver Creek/Grizzly Gulch
Day 4: Climb Uncompahgre & Wetterhorn from Matterhorn Creek
Day 5: Rest day
Day 6: Climb San Luis from Stewart Creek
Day 7: Climb Shavano and Tabeguache from Shav/Tab trailhead

We may consider a rest day before the long Uncompahgre/Wetterhorn day if we feel like we need it.

Thanks for everyone's help.
big_red_pride
14ers: 33  1 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (6)

Post by big_red_pride »

Stephen Butler wrote:As we are getting closer to our trip I have made a couple adjustments. Let me know what you think. Does the order of these peaks make logistical sense? We could also do them in reverse order but I would rather do Sneffels than Shav/Tab if we have to drop a day due to weather or a need for another rest day. Also, we will be driving a Hyundai Santa Fe 2WD.

Day 1: Climb Sneffels from Yankee Boy Basin
Day 2: Climb Handies from Silver Creek/Grizzly Gulch
Day 3: Climb Redcloud & Sunshine from Silver Creek/Grizzly Gulch
Day 4: Climb Uncompahgre & Wetterhorn from Matterhorn Creek
Day 5: Rest day
Day 6: Climb San Luis from Stewart Creek
Day 7: Climb Shavano and Tabeguache from Shav/Tab trailhead

We may consider a rest day before the long Uncompahgre/Wetterhorn day if we feel like we need it.

Thanks for everyone's help.
So when in June will you be in the San Juans? I will be out there for a few days the last week of June going after most of those same peaks.
Stephen Butler
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Stephen Butler »

We are actually planning on going in July. Probably the week after the 4th.
bj
14ers: 58 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bj »

I've done similar schedules on my two trips to the San Juans. That's easily doable. Enjoy!
Just a drinker with a climbing problem..
Stephen Butler
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Stephen Butler »

bj wrote:I've done similar schedules on my two trips to the San Juans. That's easily doable. Enjoy!
Good to hear!

Edit: bj, did you do these mountains in a similar order? Any suggestions if you did it differently?
herdbull
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (1)

Post by herdbull »

Don't under estimate the time it takes to get to & from San Luis. Jeepers that TH couldn't be farther from anything or everything, depending on how you look at it.

Wetterhorn and Uncomprahgre on the same day might be somewhat aggressive. If clouds/storms are building be noon this will present problems for that combo. If I had to do these 2 again I think I'd just drive to the Wetterhorn TH camp there, and do both separate hikes from there. Driving up and and down to both TH's is kinda rough and time consuming.

Have fun. The scenery in these mtns is some of the best.
Stephen Butler
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Stephen Butler »

herdbull wrote:Don't under estimate the time it takes to get to & from San Luis. Jeepers that TH couldn't be farther from anything or everything, depending on how you look at it.

Wetterhorn and Uncomprahgre on the same day might be somewhat aggressive. If clouds/storms are building be noon this will present problems for that combo. If I had to do these 2 again I think I'd just drive to the Wetterhorn TH camp there, and do both separate hikes from there. Driving up and and down to both TH's is kinda rough and time consuming.

Have fun. The scenery in these mtns is some of the best.
Thanks for the advice. We are actually going to do both Uncompahgre and Wetterhorn from the Matterhorn Creek TH. We will start very early and climb Uncompahgre first that way we can decided whether or not to go for Wetterhorn taking into account the weather and how we feel.
bj
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bj »

Day 1) drive from California
Day 2) Sneffels
Day 3) Rest (Unplanned due to GPS misdirection)
Day 4) Uncompahgre & Wetterhorn from Matterhorn Creek
Day 5) Handies (no summit, chased off by lightning)
Day 6) Redcloud & Sunshine from Silver Creek/Grizzly Gulch
Day 7) Approach Chicago Basin
Day 8) Wisdom & Sunlight
Day 9) Drive Home

Day 1) drive from California
Day 2) Wilson Peak
Day 3) El Diente & Mt Wilson
Day 4) Approach Chicago Basin
Day 5) the Eolus's
Day 6) train out, drive to Grizzly Gulch
Day 7) Handies
Day 8) Redcloud, Sunshine & Sun Dog
Day 9) San Luis/ Drive Home

herdbull is right, Uncompahgre & Wetterhorn is a big day and it is a long drive to San Luis. Start early or hope to get lucky like I did.

I'll be in the Elks around July 4 hoping to pick up another 6 or 8.

Enjoy!
Last edited by bj on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just a drinker with a climbing problem..
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

rijaca wrote:It's reasonable if you don't have altitude issues. Do Uncompahgre/Wetterhorn after Redcloud/Sunshine, and save Sneffels for after that, and you'll save yourself a bunch a driving. And do San Luis first or last for the same reason.
Rijaca nails it. Don't underestimate the effect going from a low altitude to 14K in a day has on a body. I also agree changing the order to do Unc/Wett after Redcloud/Sunshine is a better decision given that the TH's are separated by a 25 minute drive while Sneffels is quite a drive by paved roads.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
Stephen Butler
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Stephen Butler »

Fisching wrote:
rijaca wrote:It's reasonable if you don't have altitude issues. Do Uncompahgre/Wetterhorn after Redcloud/Sunshine, and save Sneffels for after that, and you'll save yourself a bunch a driving. And do San Luis first or last for the same reason.
Rijaca nails it. Don't underestimate the effect going from a low altitude to 14K in a day has on a body. I also agree changing the order to do Unc/Wett after Redcloud/Sunshine is a better decision given that the TH's are separated by a 25 minute drive while Sneffels is quite a drive by paved roads.
Thanks for your input. I think we may end up just saving Sneffels for when we head to the Wilson group. It sounds like a long drive from Sneffels to Grizzly/Silver Creek and I would prefer not to take my wife's car on too bad of roads.
Mike8000m
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mike8000m »

I'd think about some acclimatization before bombing up a 14er. Trust me I've tried to by pass that step and payed the price dearly.