Indian Peaks Current Conditions. Snow Oriented

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
killingcokes
14ers: 45  42  2 
13ers: 125 4
Trip Reports (64)

Indian Peaks Current Conditions. Snow Oriented

Post by killingcokes »

Looking for recent pics of peaks that are still skiable in the indian Peaks. Post em up if you have em.

Much appreciated for the help. Never Summers/RMNP too please. Just trying to lengthen the season this year.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Indian Peaks Current Conditions. Snow Oriented

Post by Dave B »

I just posted this conditions on the Apache/Navajo area from this morning.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatu ... ecnum=2401" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also noticed on the way this morning that Crooked could probably go. Curvaceous is melted out at the apron and Toll looks pretty good.
Make wilderness less accessible.
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

I was up between Audubon and Pawnee, and got these pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... e8f7bf6e00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Toll is apparently still in, judging by ski tracks on it. I hear Pawnee might be as well, but can not verify as we never got a good look at it's slopes.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
killingcokes
Trip Reports (64)

Post by killingcokes »

Thanks.

Has anybody seen Copeland - Ogallala - Isolation and the peaks north of Brainerd
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

Yeah any pics of Toll would be nice. Thinking about it for this weekend.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
heather14
14ers: 45  1  7 
13ers: 93 8
Trip Reports (2)

Post by heather14 »

As of Sunday Crooked was still skiable. The top 40ft or so was melted out, but the rest held nice snow.

A few pics on Crooked:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Heather142 ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. - Rene Daumal
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

killingcokes wrote:Thanks.

Has anybody seen Copeland - Ogallala - Isolation and the peaks north of Brainerd
From Sunday 6/16:

North face of Isolation

East face of Isolation

North face of Copeland
killingcokes
Trip Reports (64)

Post by killingcokes »

Sweet thanks a lot. Keep em coming.
clemsonmtneer
14ers: 35  6 
13ers: 23 6
Trip Reports (15)

Post by clemsonmtneer »

Fritz, the peaks around Brainard Lake are in great condition for the most part right now, probably some of the best remaining snow in the state I would imagine (maybe more farther north in the Never Summers, Medicine Bows, etc though). Not sure about the northern Indian Peaks, but have a friend who's planning to ski Ogalalla this weekend, so will ask her for beta.

EatinHardtrack, I really thought I had taken a better picture of Mt. Toll... unfortunately you can't really see most of the route from the shot below, but I did get a good look at it from Brainard while I was out there with Dave B yesterday... and like he said, it is in and looks like a great late season ski right now.

Good snow where we were up on Apache. Queen's Way skied great when I dropped in at about 10:15, but I didn't continue to the summit since it was getting too warm. Apache Couloir looks sweet as well, as does the big snowfield on Navajo Peak. Like Dave said in his conditions report, the approach is mildly annoying with intermittent snow from the very start, but not enough to skin on until the bench above Lake Isabelle. Sketchy snow crossings on shaded/icy snow while traversing around Lake Isabelle, would highly recommend an ice ax and crampons for this section.

Also, talked to a guy on the hike out who said they are planning to open the road to Brainard Lake Friday. Not sure how reliable that is, though, so would probably call first to make sure.

Toll, Paiute, and Audubon at dawn:
9093171611_b62bbf183e_z.jpg
9093171611_b62bbf183e_z.jpg (139.42 KiB) Viewed 1511 times

Apache and Navajo from Lake Isabelle... Apache Couloir in center, Queen's Way on right:
9095410814_4c5d1ea210_z.jpg
9095410814_4c5d1ea210_z.jpg (202.89 KiB) Viewed 1511 times

Queen's Way Couloir:
9095412194_5be2bb3f97_z.jpg
9095412194_5be2bb3f97_z.jpg (138.82 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Never Summers and Medicine Bows have a ton of snow still - thought I had a good picture but can't find it, bowls around Diamond Peaks looked well covered
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Audubon is mostly dry, maybe 4 or 5 sections totaling a quarter mile where you hike on snow. These sections were either crusty enough that I didn't sink in, or already had steps. Only concern is the first switchback (as you come up) has so much snow that I lost a trail.
killingcokes
Trip Reports (64)

Post by killingcokes »

@jomagam - I want snow I'm a skier but thanks. Trying to find snow that's still sticking around this year.

Good to know about the Never Summers. I wonder how the cirrus area is looking.

Would love to see pics of Ogallala

Sweet pics Alan, Apache is a beautiful mountain