Everest Attempt

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
gearhunter
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Everest Attempt

Post by gearhunter »

rijaca wrote:
gearhunter wrote:Last weekend i blood doped with tequila and cheated on beer.
Well, that explains the fascination with Bigfoot....
It explains only your fascination with me.
shredthegnar10
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (5)

Post by shredthegnar10 »

gearhunter wrote:Last weekend i blood doped with tequila and cheated on beer.
Ah, s**t, I think I'm going to have to asterisk half my 14er summits now...
Most things worth doing are difficult, dangerous, expensive, or all three.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I've only reached a few summits without caffeine, and usually puked afterwards.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
rohit
14ers: 58  3  11 
13ers: 29 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rohit »

I respect her and if has bagged Denali and Cho Oyu, she can attempt to Everest. I think, there is nothing wrong on that.... and it doesn't matter how old you're, you have to have that courage to attempt that thing. Let's see how she will do and my best luck is with her... keep hiking...
14RBND
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14RBND »

ThuChad wrote:No not me.

This was in my local paper last week and I couldn't help but shake my head. This 52 year old mother of 3 will attempt to climb Everest in May. While I admire her courage, the story just makes me angry for some reason. The article states she's climbed Denali and Cho Oyu, obviously guided, but nothing else. It says she runs , bikes, lifts and does yoga for exercise... and if you don't know, Edmond, Oklahoma is a flat 1000 ft. of elevation.

I really don't know if this woman "deserves" to climb everest or not. That's an internal conversation she needs to have with herself but I think it's sad what Everest has become. This takes away from the many great mountaineers that came before us who relied on themselves and a few others. Maybe I'm just being cynical but felt the need to vent on the interwebs. If for some reason Mrs. Wedel is a 14ers.com member, I mean no disrespect to you directly.

Did she succeed? :-"
"Mountaineering experience is that monumental thing that allows us to understand our mistakes when we make them more than once"
Delorean_Man
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Delorean_Man »

I emailed the author of the christian chronicle blog that had a post about her from march. He said not long after she went to Nepal her daughter become very sick and she had to return with out even trying.
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

I'm better than her! We are the few and no one can be like us. That's not cool. I'm telling my mom. Mom, she wants to climb a mountain like I did. Tell her no! Sounds like those moms that get mad because some other mom picked the same baby name. On the real side though i'll post more when I get home tonight.
14RBND
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14RBND »

Wow that's too bad. Maybe next year. [-o<
"Mountaineering experience is that monumental thing that allows us to understand our mistakes when we make them more than once"
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

ThuChad wrote:No not me.

This was in my local paper last week and I couldn't help but shake my head. This 52 year old mother of 3 will attempt to climb Everest in May. While I admire her courage, the story just makes me angry for some reason. The article states she's climbed Denali and Cho Oyu, obviously guided, but nothing else. It says she runs , bikes, lifts and does yoga for exercise... and if you don't know, Edmond, Oklahoma is a flat 1000 ft. of elevation.

I really don't know if this woman "deserves" to climb everest or not. That's an internal conversation she needs to have with herself but I think it's sad what Everest has become. This takes away from the many great mountaineers that came before us who relied on themselves and a few others. Maybe I'm just being cynical but felt the need to vent on the interwebs. If for some reason Mrs. Wedel is a 14ers.com member, I mean no disrespect to you directly.

This is by no means a bashing of anyone who would or would not agree with ThuChad. Everyone has dreams of doing great things in their lifetime. Some people fulfill those dreams some don’t. Some are backed by family and friends and some seem to have the whole world against them. Some will succeed and be heroes. Some will fail and be branded a failure. What if they had made it though.? Valari Wedel is what most here my call a flatlander. I myself moved here from sea level. I only saw the bells in pictures and had no idea they were here. I kept those pictures in hopes to one day to see them in person. In 2001 I saw them while on vacation and the desire to climb them and pyramid as well grew greatly. Should I a flatlander be allowed to come to your state and do something you locals do everyday it seems? Should I be allowed to share in the glory that I to being from 40ft above sea level would have the chance to climb all the 14ers? So Valari is from 1000ft above sea level. I looked up some of the finest mountaineers and found that they aren’t from so high up either. All of these people had a passion for the mountains and lived it. I hate waking up at 3am to climb, but when I reach the top I am overwhelmed and cry. I’m overjoyed at what I have done. Am I a mountaineer? No. Will I ever be? I don’t know. I will try my best to climb all the 14ers but will not place myself in those shoes. I enjoy climbing in the mountains. I hope my kids will climb with me some day. I feel closer to God on the mountain tops. I plan to climb until my legs will no longer carry me. So in the spirit of Steve Gladbach, encourage others to do what you do so well. You may be the person that inspires the next Gladbach, Hillary, or Messner. To close this up I would like to ask all you guys that have been on this sight for some time to receive the “Lower classmen” with open arms. I feel like a freshman in high school sometimes when I read post on this sight. I have yet to have an opportunity to go to a gathering and feel that I don’t belong unless I’m in the click. I climb alone a lot because of it. Don’t get me wrong, I love this site. I read it more than my bible. Anyway, keep the spirit of Steve and others alive and build others up. Share your gifts and help others reach their summit.