Which hikes are appropriate for dogs?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kdavies314
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Which hikes are appropriate for dogs?

Post by kdavies314 »

I have hiked many 14ers with my dog, (Elbert, Grey's, Torrey's, Lincoln, Democrate, Bross, Cameron-if it counts, and Quandary). A couple weeks ago I went to hike Mt. of the Holy Cross, and naturally I was planning to take my dog. However, when I mentioned this to my friends everyone was shocked. So, I started to second guess taking my pup. I have a very fit 6 year old border collie and I have never had issues with him on mountains, but he also carries his own food, water and he wears booties to protect his pads.

I called my vet to get his opinion and he thought if I ended up getting into trouble I would have to not only think of my safety but also my dogs. In the end I chose not to take him on this adventure. I felt guilty the whole way up, I have never hiked without him. We got to about 13500 ft and the trail became less noticeable-maybe due to recent snow- and we had to do a bit of climbing boulders and finding our way up to the top. At this point I was so thankful of my decision to leave my pup at home. The thoughts of what if he wasn't able to jump from rock to rock or climb between the rocks was going through my mind, which is why I am writing this. I just wanted other people to be aware of the hazards in that last 500 ft that a dog might struggle on. In the Holy cross wilderness there is a leash law and if you slip or your dog slips on one of these rocks it could mean trouble for either you or your beloved dog. This is the first time I have thought my dog might have struggled, he might have been fine, but I am happy I didn't test his ability. My love for my dog is greater than my desire to have a photo with him on the top!

On a different note, my friends and I decided to do the Halo ridge route from the top of Holy Cross. It was tons of scrambling and managing big rocks, and there is no defined route until you get to the Notch shelter. Be prepared for a challenge if you choose to do this trip. It was amazing and rewarding in the end, but the hardest hike I have done to date. The work done on the Halfmoon trial this past summer is amazing, kudos to everyone who helped with that endeavor.

I hope people find this helpful.
annabella
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by annabella »

What everyone else said: class 1 or 2. The rocks can definitely be hard on their pads, so if it's a first 14er, try to keep it to one of the shorter ones to see how they do. I haven't been able to find booties that fit my little guy, but luckily he's small enough (11lbs) that I can just throw him in my pack if his feet get sore (although I've only had to do this once, coming down from Grays/Torreys).

One thing I also do is have him wear a harness when we're going over rocks. It gives me an easy way to grab him if he needs some help getting up or down bigger rocks, and then I leash him to my waist, so that if he were to slip, he's not going to fall off the mountain (and it would be less painful for him to be saved by his harness than by his collar). I always bring his "snowsuit" too, because small dogs are more sensitive to cold weather (it's a waterproof, fleece-lined coat).

Know your dog's fitness level and abilities. My teeny guy maxes out around 10 miles, but that drops a LOT when the weather heats up. He's a good scrambler, too - but I have a friend with a big Lab who got a little freaked when we did Evans. Luckily it was a short route, but that's how we learned that he doesn't do well above class 1, so now he stays home. Just remember not to get them into a situation you aren't prepared to get them out of.
Attachments
Top of Bierstadt May 2012
Top of Bierstadt May 2012
P5091645little.JPG (43.89 KiB) Viewed 3364 times
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Are you sure that's a dog?
annabella
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by annabella »

Nope. But if not....he's a pretty awesome marmot.
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

That is the first photo documentation I've seen of an Ewok on the summit of a 14er.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

:wft:
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

Nicest dog thread ever. :-D Great pics too.
mckillio
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mckillio »

I just did Grays last weekend with my 13 and a half year old German Shepherd mix and he got up just fine but was pretty wiped halfway down and did have some pad wear. He's been up Evans, Grays (twice), Sherman (had quite a bit of trouble due to his pads getting messed up), and Elbert. Doing Richtofen this Saturday, we'll see how it goes.

As far as a leash goes, I don't believe in it for him, he behaves much better off leash than on and I think it's safer for both of us. I do carry it with me just in case.

I got him boots but he just unstraps them and takes them off, otherwise I would recommend them.
ahrendse
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ahrendse »

I agree with what has been said so far, especially the fact that Class 2 routes vary in difficulty for dogs. My dog (a large bullmastiff) struggles with large boulders. He's made is up Massive, Uncompahgre, Antero, and Holy Cross. He was not able to make it up Shavano, mostly because the large boulders made him nervous and he would not go on.

My dog carries his own food, water, and waste. To keep him cool, I often pour water on his head and back. He gets picky with regular food on hikes, so I often bring plenty of tasty treats for him to fuel up on.

Edited for type-o
https://listsofjohn.com/m/ahrendse
`You might just as well say that "I see what I eat" is the same thing as "I eat what I see"!'
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

mckillio wrote: Doing Richtofen this Saturday, we'll see how it goes.

As far as a leash goes, I don't believe in it for him, he behaves much better off leash than on and I think it's safer for both of us. I do carry it with me just in case.
Not sure your dog will do well on Richthofen. Lots of rocks, no trail. And if you're making the approach from the east, you'll be in RMNP (no dogs).
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
James Dziezynski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by James Dziezynski »

My older border collie has done around 30 14ers (really, all the dog safe ones) and over 100 total peaks. My younger guy (border collie also) is fast on his heels! They are great dogs and I really cherish their company in the mountains. A few thoughts:

* This time of year, I'm very aware of how hot it gets. I like autumn hiking the most for my dogs, so I like to do technical stuff without them mid-summer. Hot dogs are not happy dogs!

* We don't use booties and rarely do we have any foot issues, though to be fair we worked up slowly to getting their feet tough enough for long days. In the winter, I use paw wax that works well to keep snow from gathering.

* One final thought: some of my very favorite days out with them have been mountain hikes on non-14ers. A few of my favorites have been: Bison Peak, Mount Flora, Argentine Peak/Pass, Mount Parnassus and Vail Pass.
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tortoise1 »

James Dziezynski wrote:* We don't use booties and rarely do we have any foot issues, though to be fair we worked up slowly to getting their feet tough enough for long days. In the winter, I use paw wax that works well to keep snow from gathering.
Good to know, always thought paw wax was to be used on your father, and once spent an inordinate amount of time at REI looking for ma wax. Very helpful forum this is.