Mike Cormier (& other climbers) Memorial

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
OutdoorEsprit
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

Mike Cormier (& other climbers) Memorial

Post by OutdoorEsprit »

Some of us that had the joy of working with Mike are setting up a memorial hike on Quandary in honor of him, and of all our other fellow climbers that we've lost this year. We would love to have anyone join us- family, friends, or acquaintances of Mike or the other climbers that have been lost, or those who would just like to honor a 14ers enthusiast.

The hike will take place on Saturday, August 24th. We will be meeting at the Quandary Trailhead at 6am, and starting up the East Ridge route by 6:30. If people would like to meet us at the top of the peak or back at the trailhead in the afternoon, that would be wonderful as well. As of right now, we're planning on gathering back at the trailhead for a picnic lunch/snack afterward as well (BYO food). Everyone is welcome!

More details to come...
"The mountains are calling and I must go."
-John Muir
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Mike Cormier (& other climbers) Memorial

Post by MountainHiker »

I have marked it on my calendar.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
jmaddox74
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jmaddox74 »

Mike was a good Dude. I wish I could be there to celebrate his life. I didnt get to spend as much time with him as I would have liked. Thanks for remembering him in this way. He will be missed.
MountainHiker
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

MountainHikerette & I plan on being there. I'll bring a Nova Scotia flag to fly at the summit. Also I'll pick up a Colorado rock along the way and toss it into the ocean when we're back in October.
MountainHiker
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

There was a good turnout today from Mike's office co-workers. It was nice meeting everyone and sharing some stories about Mike.

Summit photo of second group.
John Cormier
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John Cormier »

Hi all, this is Mike's brother sending thanks and appreciation for this extremely thoughtful gesture in memory of Mike and all the other climbers who've perished doing what they love. I've forwarded this picture (above) to the family and, rest assured, it will be a treasured keepsake as we try to go forward without Mike. Bless you all!!
MountainHiker
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

John,

I picked up a couple rocks to take to Nova Scotia in October. We won’t make it to Antigonish, but we will be able to stop along the Northumberland Strait to toss them in.

I had to reduce the file to post this picture. If you pm your email I can send you the original file along with a few other Mike pictures.

Ian