Crestone Trailhead Access

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
billygoat89
Trip Reports (0)

Crestone Trailhead Access

Post by billygoat89 »

Does anyone know if there has been a road closure because of gov shutdown leading up to the 4WD Trailhead :?: :?: :?:
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Crestone Trailhead Access

Post by metalmountain »

Its not a national park, it should be open.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

Shouldn't be. The TH isn't in a National Park. I don't think "Wilderness areas" are shut down.

My guess is that it's only places that collect revenue.. RMNP, possibly IPW. In fact, does anyone know if Indian Peaks is closed too?

I was eyeing Navajo or something else up there..
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
swampthing
14ers: 14  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by swampthing »

This is the latest info I can see:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/news- ... RDB5437521" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

May be a little dicey in places from potential flood damage last month.
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

swampthing wrote:This is the latest info I can see:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/news- ... RDB5437521" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Floods did not affect the Sangres.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
swampthing
14ers: 14  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by swampthing »

Floods did not affect the Sangres.
Oh sorry, I was referring to the IPW question.
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

swampthing wrote:This is the latest info I can see:

Thanks, sorry to jack the thread.
Last edited by oldschoolczar on Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
Hypersnow
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Hypersnow »

The direction is to close all facilities. That means bathrooms, offices, developed campgrounds. I don't think the campsites up toward s. colony TH would qualify as developed. My guess is it should be open; but i don't work out of that district, so i can't know for sure.