Comet ISON bright as full moon?

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Comet ISON bright as full moon?

Post by MUni Rider »

Get your cameras ready.... October, November, December 2013.
The latest information issued by NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory suggests that this comet could get as bright as magnitude -11.6 on the astronomers' brightness scale; that's as bright as nearly full moon! That would also be bright enough for Comet ISON to be visible during the daytime.
http://www.space.com/17918-9-most-brill ... omets.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.space.com/17762-newfound-com ... 012s1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What mountain do you plan to put in the shot? If it stays in the sky for as long as historical mega comet have, we may be able to get a lot of view time out of this one. I hope it does indeed prove to be a bright as they are saying it could.

I have a year to buy a good camera!
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
FFLpilot
14ers: 2 
13ers: 6 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Comet ISON bright as full moon?

Post by FFLpilot »

I think I'll wait til it gets a bit closer to start planning; 'new' comets are notoriously fickle when it comes to how they will perform. Crossing fingers!
"My $0.02 in a world where pennies are obsolete..."
Rcizzle
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Rcizzle »

I'm going to second that, many comets often fail expectations. This could also exceed expectations. I also heard that its peak brightness is going to occur in the southern hemisphere and then work its way up to the north by mid to end of december. I certainly hope we get to see it in the north for the entire duration of the period. I can be wrong and I hope I am.
Bad decisions make good stories.
MUni Rider
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider »

Yeah, I know it's iffy, hence the question mark in the title.... and use of words: could, if, would, hope, may.... Yeah, keep fingers crossed! :) My job requires me to sign up for leave for the year of 2013 in November of 2012, so...... If this fizzles, I guess I'll spend a week hiking canyons in Southern Utah instead. Oh darn.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
MUni Rider
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider »

Well, It's almost time. 8)

FFLpilot
14ers: 2 
13ers: 6 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by FFLpilot »

MUni Rider wrote:Well, It's almost time. 8)
Yep, and we still, don't know much, except that it isn't likely to cast any shadows or be visible in daylight. Perhaps as bright as Venus? Time will tell.
"My $0.02 in a world where pennies are obsolete..."