14'er Climbing Fees Might Be Considered

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Are you okay with paying a user fee to access Colorado 14'ers?

Yes, for all 14'ers.
8%
Maybe, for certain areas.
15%
Maybe, but only if the fees were small.
12%
No, fees should generally not be charged to access these areas.
65%

Total votes: 292
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Re: 14'er Climbing Fees Might Be Considered

Post by mattpayne11 »

I actually agree with what a lot was said above by JohnSchell... especially about the livestock fees :shock:

One point of clarification though - the NFS does provide significant grant dollars to trail building organizations such as CFI and Rocky Mountain Field Institute.
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

As far as money for trail-building and such, I remember seeing a collection box at the Belford trailhead recommending (but not requiring) a $5 donation (all of which went to trail maintenance). I'm all for this - if you have the money, and feel like it, pitch in. If you don't have it on you at the time, or don't feel like giving, then don't. No skin off my back.

But as far as making people pay to access NF land, the last thing we need to do is make it harder for people to get out into the outdoors and get in shape!
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

schrund wrote:An article in this morning's Aspen Times on possible use limitations in the Elks: http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20120 ... ofile=1058
Sad story. The elephant in the room: exponential human population growth that cannot be sustained by our planet, including what is wilderness today. The wilderness will not be safe from humanity, there are too many of us and counting....
ClayDishman
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ClayDishman »

Aug_Dog wrote:If it keeps Texans off our mountains, I'm for it!!!!!! :)
Mandatory fees: NO…. More awareness of how to donate and why at the trails: YES…

As someone that practices zero impact (as much as one possibly can), ethical wilderness travel and maintains safe climbing standards it’s easy to get frustrate with those that don’t share the same views.

Every time I am blessed with the opportunity of “loosing” myself within a climb and become completely aware of the magnificence that surrounds me I can’t help but want others to share in that experience as well. For those that don’t “Get It” hopefully it evokes some sense of appreciation or self enlightenment into how lucky we truly are.

Aug_Dog… Please try to encourage ethical practices the next time you come across someone from Texas that wouldn’t necessarily see things the way you do. Please and thank you goes along way when helping people understand respect.

Hopefully we can meet sometime along the trail to share some good stories and have a few laughs.

Yes… I’m from Texas… Thank You,
edhaman
14ers: 15 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by edhaman »

According to the Aspen Times article, "the Forest Service will reach out to Roaring Fork Valley residents." The last time I checked, the Forest Service is part of the federal government and responsible to all of us. So why should just Roaring Fork Valley residents be consulted?
jsf80238
14ers: 26 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jsf80238 »

I favor a $5 fee for parking, with the money collected being used for trail maintenance.
Ideally a solar-powered, satellite-enabled RFID reader/credit-card reader, so I could swipe a USDA prepaid card or a credit card.
Urban Snowshoer
14ers: 42  3  2 
13ers: 20 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Urban Snowshoer »

Although it's not politically correct to say this, especially on this site, the ever-increasing numbers of people on 14ers will run up against sustainable limits sooner or later. I do commend the CFI for the work they do; however, improved trails won't resolve sustainability and overuse issues alone. You can only improve or build trails so many times on a peak before you, for lack of a better description, end up destroying the peak in order to save it. Moreover, improving trails does not resolve issues of human waste when hundreds of people a day are involved.

I'm not sure fees are the best approach but some kind of limits (e.g. permits) are going to become necessary on peaks like Gray's and Bierstadt, during the summer months, to keep the number of climbers in line with a sustainable carrying capacity.
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

$120 approach shoes/hiking boots? Sure.
$85 trekking poles. Why Not?
$90 Camelbak? Of Course!
$20 REI membership? I mean, it pays for itself.
$110 polarized sunshades? Definitely.
$35 Patagonia capilene tee. Sure
$200 ultralight tent? Duh.
$700 DSLR camera? Well, yeah. Or...
$300 GoPro? Dude, epic.
$100 Thermarest? A necessity.
$150 down bag? Also a necessity.
$40 hammock? A creature comfort.

$10 access fee? YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING!1!! OUTRAGEOUS! :cussing:
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
pseudoghost
14ers: 32 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pseudoghost »

schrund wrote:An article in this morning's Aspen Times on possible use limitations in the Elks: http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20120 ... ofile=1058
It seems that most of the problem with overcrowding really comes down to non-existent law enforcement. If you're going to have fire bans, then you need to enforce the law. If you don't want people camping near the shore of Snowmass Lake then you need to have a ranger camp up there most weekends and ticket people who choose to ignore the law.

By in large, people ignore the signs because they know they're never going to see anyone out there who says anything. On the other hand, CDOW does patrol and issue tickets for fishing licenses and regulation violations, and I don't see nearly as many people flagrantly violating those regs because they know the officers are out there.
sneu
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sneu »

A minimal annaul fee, maybe. A fee per Mnt, thats BS. That's why I will end up one short on the list of 58. I'll be damned if I'm paying that outrageuos amount to hike Culebra.
Lute82
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lute82 »

I agree with a five dollar parking fee to help with the trails and parking lots as someone suggested earlier, but the $150 for Calebra is obsurd!
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

Urban Snowshoer wrote:Although it's not politically correct to say this, especially on this site, the ever-increasing numbers of people on 14ers will run up against sustainable limits sooner or later. I do commend the CFI for the work they do; however, improved trails won't resolve sustainability and overuse issues alone. You can only improve or build trails so many times on a peak before you, for lack of a better description, end up destroying the peak in order to save it. Moreover, improving trails does not resolve issues of human waste when hundreds of people a day are involved.

I'm not sure fees are the best approach but some kind of limits (e.g. permits) are going to become necessary on peaks like Gray's and Bierstadt, during the summer months, to keep the number of climbers in line with a sustainable carrying capacity.
Going to have to respectfully disagree with you. I have climbed over half of the 14ers and there are only a few that I would characterize as being even remotely close to "overused" (not surprisingly they are all in the front range). There might be a case to consider something like this on a few of the ones that get large crowds (Grays and Torreys, Evans, Sherman, etc), but many times on peaks I only see a handful of other people the entire day. 10-20 people a day, times 7 days a week, times 4 months a year (vast majority of climbs are June-September) on a huge mountain hardly constitutes "overuse". This is provided, of course, that people take care of the place, don't leave trash, etc.

In addition, my experience with government collecting money is that they are very, very inefficient at it. Are you really going to pay some bozo $10-15/hour to sit at every major 14er trailhead from 4am-noon collecting money? If so, then realize that in most cases half or more of your fee is going to go to the guy who is paid to collect the fee!!! Not very efficient if you ask me.

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6