Camping at Lake como

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Todd L
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Camping at Lake como

Post by Todd L »

Myself and friends are wanting to climb Mt. Blanca, the plan is to set up camp at Lake Como and start from there. Some people just want to camp and a handful of us want to do the three local climbs.

Are we allowed to camp at Lake Como; doing a search on the forum, I see some have camped there. Is there somewhere I can check local regulations?
We are looking at going last week of July 1st week of August, is this a good time to go?

Thanks

Todd
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Camping at Lake como

Post by Cruiser »

Seems like I remember some reports of folks having trouble with bears while camping at Lake Como earlier this year. Maybe things have changed since then but it's probably worth looking into. Otherwise, camping near the lake is perfectly legal and lots of people do it. Just try to follow LNT principles.

As far as timing goes, you ought to be just fine in late July. The afternoon rains have already started kicking in this year so you'll want to pay careful attention to the weather while you're on the trail. But other than that and maybe some issues with mosquitos there's no reason that your dates wouldn't work.
Where ever you are... There you are.
MitchellS
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by MitchellS »

I remember reading a post or report from someone this year reporting about a bear so I think that there is still a bear problem. Even people that have taken all of the precautions of food handling have still encountered bears so be extra careful. Also, when I went through Lake Como last year, the mosquitos were horrendous! Bring lots of bug spray!
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

You can camp there. Bears are a problem every year. Bring a bear canister.

Dave
Alexander W
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alexander W »

We did a multi-day backpack trip there last year hiking to Como the first day and camping at the lake that first night. On our way up to the lake two small groups passed us heading out and said "you better not hang your food, the bears will get it for sure" and "get ready for no sleep the bears will bug you all night." I've always hung my food and never had a problem but as you can imagine we were on edge. One of the groups had a 4 wheeler and showed us the seat which a bear had half eaten the night before. Anyway, it was also a Thursday so the area was empty except for us with another group of dudes from CSU showing up around dusk. We were extremely careful with all of our food/anything that could possibly rememble a tasty smell and had our dinner where we hung our food NOT in our camp which we always do. We found a deep hole someone dug on the far side of the lake with a pre-hung rope for hanging food (whoever did that THANKYOU!) I'm guessing its still there so use that if it is, if not, do a good job of hanging your food! We had no problems at all that night, never woke up once and our food was just fine. We climbed Blanca and Ellingwood that next morning which was really fun and had both mtns to ourselves. When we returned to camp a new group was setting up their camp close to ours and said there had just been a black bear walking through our camp-we never saw him. We hiked out, drove to Lindsey's TH and camped and climbed Lindsey the next day. The lake como portion of the trip was awesome and I left Little Bear unchallenged on purpose so I'd have to do it again! With all the moisture this year, I'm guessing bugs will be cray up there, they weren't bad for us but...take bug spray.

Enjoy the hike

Alexander
Todd L
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Todd L »

Sooooo what I am hearing is that there are bears and bug!?!?!?!?

LOL Thanks all for the info. The three 14ers will be my personal firsts.
Are open fires allowed at the lake? Once we firm up dates I'll post them, if anyone is up there att look us up. :)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Todd
derekesq
14ers: 29 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by derekesq »

I plan on hitting Blanca August 2, but hiking from the road (1-2 miles in at low parking area). Ambitious first 14ers. One of the trip reports (not sure if it was LB, Blanca or Ell.) had a comment that the bear was "taken care off" but that was 2 layers of hearsay in the comment section.
Who is John Galt
AdDoBe
14ers: 33  2 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AdDoBe »

My wife and I are planning to camp at Lake Como on the 18th and hike Blanca/Ellingwood on the 19th. I'll update this thread with conditions after I get back (assuming I remember...)
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Todd L wrote:Sooooo what I am hearing is that there are bears and bug!?!?!?!?

LOL Thanks all for the info. The three 14ers will be my personal firsts.
Are open fires allowed at the lake? Once we firm up dates I'll post them, if anyone is up there att look us up. :)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Todd
Hey Todd, since you said "any advice is greatly appreciated" than here is mine.
Since you said you've never climbed a 14er before, then SKIP LITTLE BEAR. Seriously. Save it for later.

Little Bear is one of only a couple 14ers .. .pretty much the only one, that I have no desire to climb again. The dangers are rockfall, exposure, and routefinding above the hourglass. I would say that LB is for experienced climbers/mountaineers only. Sure, on a good day with good weather you'll probably be fine- But I wouldn't risk it.

You can camp at Lake Como but be aware that you will most likely have to backpack in (carrying all your stuff), not drive- the road is notoriously dangerous. Most of the people I saw at lake como had 38" or 40" tires on their heavily modified vehicles. If you are an experienced ATV rider with a good 4x4 ATV it's doable as well. It's also pretty "crowded" at times with lots of people and they may be up late making noise.

Sorry to sound like a downer but I wanted you to know.
Blanca and Ellingwood are relatively benign for 14ers and wouldn't be bad choices for your first 2 - 14ers.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
Todd L
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Todd L »

djkest, I do appreciate the information. LB is on the list and it will be one that I approach cautiously. Our party will have several experienced climbers who have already done LB. It will be approached with caution and if not ideal, it will be put on hold. We do plan on driving in as close as safely possible with the realization that we will be humping in the gear we want with us.

AdDoBe please remember to post. :)

derekesq being at the lake during your climb is one of our groups proposed dates. I will let you know.

All, thank you for the advice, I will be looking for the deep pit for food and or a tall place to hang it, as well as taking bug spray.

Todd
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Was up there July 3 and 4 w no bear issues, nor any from others I talked to. One said he hearx bear was dealt with. Still, DO take beat precautions otherwise you're just baiting the next bear. I camped high, under the black hand a ways off trail ona rise. LB can be a first or third 14er for those w experience to rely on (e.g. rock climbing), but is a not well suited for newbs. If you do it, bring rap gear. New rope up top, but lower is a mix.

As a back up, and IF the road is good, Lindsey is a fine 14er with Lily Lake, Huerfano, Iron Nipple and other POIs.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

Another option to consider might be the Zapata Falls trailhead instead. Much easier, no ATV's, no craziness, no bears, you can still camp halfway up, etc. The down side is that getting to the top of Blanca from there is class 3. Check out the trip reports under Blanca Peak. Best wishes in whatever you attempt. I would agree with a previous poster; from what I have read (haven't personally tried myself) Little Bear is a very dangerous mountain; I have been up 30ish of the 14ers and I still don't feel I am ready for LB skill wise. If you do attempt be realistic and turn around before you get over your head. I know I sound like your mom but just don't want to see anything tragic happen.

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6