Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Where is the SNOW!!!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby MuchosPixels » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:44 pm

Colorado is in a very bad drought situation right now. It has not been mentioned much and some are downplaying it so as not to loose as much money from this upcoming xmas holiday travel and ski vacation time. But the situation is pretty dire and the forecast doesnt look promising at all.

It was also pretty bad in the east although they are more prepared with extensive snowmaking coverage.

Bright side is that a LOT of peaks will be easily climbable going well into December and access to most TH's should be quite easy also.

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:31 pm

It sure is depressing, but not much you can do about it. The weather changes and there's no reason for us to believe that today will be anything like yesterday.

Postby SKIBREC » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:54 pm

pretty depressing...walk around town a bit ago with the mutt...hard to make a snow ball at 10,000 ft..........something tells me some big wildfires are coming..sure hope not...... :(
Mike & Gail

There's no such thing as bad weather... just the wrong gear

Postby ajkagy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:04 pm

SKIBREC wrote:pretty depressing...walk around town a bit ago with the mutt...hard to make a snow ball at 10,000 ft..........something tells me some big wildfires are coming..sure hope not...... :(

considering the drought this past winter/summer, if we have another bad snowpack things will probably get pretty ugly. I would suspect mass water restrictions and not much water for crops as well. I've heard Dillon Res is super low right now too.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Location: Up high in the San Juan Mtns (Apr-Nov) and down by the beach in CA & HA (Nov-Apr)

Postby San Juan Ron » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:18 am

If you want to see depressing, check out Blue Mesa Reservoir. The east end of the reservoir is now a river. The lowest I have ever seen it. SJ Ron

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:28 am

I saw pics of blue mesa in late september absolutely incredible, can't imagine what it looks like now. I think we are on the verge of a major climate shift.

Postby gonzalj » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:50 am

Dillon res & the Colorado river out by Glenwood canyon are extremely depressing right now. It's really bad and we desperately need snow. I don't even want to think how things would be if we saw a repeat of last year.

Postby mtnfiend » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:49 am

gonzalj wrote:I don't even want to think how things would be if we saw a repeat of last year.

A repeat of 2001-2004. Those were seriously bad years.....

Even in a good year water is a scarce and valuable resource. One positive point about the droughts is that people will hopefully learn to conserve and use water more wisely.
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:21 am

Life in the mountains is for hardknocks. If you skiers truly love the "gnar" go and hike to get it. [-X

This dude found some in the San Juans.
Attachments
P1050010.jpg
P1050010.jpg (341 KiB) Viewed 237 times
P1040994.jpg
P1040994.jpg (335.14 KiB) Viewed 237 times
P1050020.jpg
P1050020.jpg (282.85 KiB) Viewed 237 times
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby ajkagy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:55 am

FireOnTheMountain wrote:Life in the mountains is for hardknocks. If you skiers truly love the "gnar" go and hike to get it. [-X

This dude found some in the San Juans.

at this point recreation is the last thing i'm worried about. The general lack of snowpack/water means an ugly summer coming. Better get used to having smoke in the lungs out in the front range :(
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Bean » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:05 am

FireOnTheMountain wrote:Life in the mountains is for hardknocks. If you skiers truly love the "gnar" go and hike to get it.

"The gnar" is for March - June. I want deep blower pow.

2013's going to be an ugly fire year at this rate.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Oman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:10 am

Right now this winter's snowpack is about half of last winter's. Remember, though, that last winter started out with a few big storms and then went dry through December and January. No big early storms this year. I'm still riding a mountain bike on south-facing trails up to 9,500 feet. Ugh.

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/reports/UpdateReport.html;jsessionid=rS1Y6k9EossMnm057v3a2-QQ?report=Colorado&format=SNOTEL+Snowpack+Comparison+Update+Report

PreviousNext