Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

LONGS PEAK

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

LONGS PEAK

Postby Stevo68 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:48 pm

anyone have pictures of storm and the north face of longs. Most recent please!
Ride to Live....Live to Ride

Re: LONGS PEAK

Postby mtngoat » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:01 pm

I'm headed that direction tomorrow. I'll post up what I can grab. I will be across valley to the east (Twin Sisters) for a short hike so I may be limited by my P&S zoom and might not get great shots of the north face unless I change destination to Estes Cone which may give better angles.
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.

Postby USAKeller » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:31 am

No pics but I saw Longs very well on my ride the other day - it looked pretty dry. Hopefully someone will post some good photos.
All we are called to do is do the next right thing.

Postby nomad » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:47 pm

I was up there today around Mills Moraine with my wife, very dry.
Attachments
longs.jpg
longs.jpg (292.13 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
" The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
Recon 1st inf. Div.

Postby nomad » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:52 pm

I know it's not the face your looking for but it is dry everywhere. Bear lake had 3.5 inches.
" The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
Recon 1st inf. Div.

Postby mtngoat » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:07 pm

Those are better shot than I was able to get. Pretty dry. Microspikes at best in some drifted spots.
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.

Postby Carl » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:12 am

Anyone got any recent shots of the trail between the Keyhole and the top, or been up that way recently? I assume it's manageable in trail runners? Anna's pics are pretty telling of the approach and I don't recall any snow since then. Thanks.

Postby Dave B » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:07 pm

Carl wrote:Anyone got any recent shots of the trail between the Keyhole and the top, or been up that way recently? I assume it's manageable in trail runners? Anna's pics are pretty telling of the approach and I don't recall any snow since then. Thanks.

Spent a couple days in Glacier Gorge last week. The back side of Longs was very dry with only a little snow in the trough. Doesn't really help for conditions, but I'd be willing to bet trail runners and micro's would be more than sufficient.

I might have some decent pictures at home, so I'll look and repost later if so.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby Carl » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:10 pm

Dave B wrote:Spent a couple days in Glacier Gorge last week. The back side of Longs was very dry with only a little snow in the trough. Doesn't really help for conditions, but I'd be willing to bet trail runners and micro's would be more than sufficient.

I might have some decent pictures at home, so I'll look and repost later if so.

Thanks Dave. That's all I needed to hear to talk me into trail runners. Might try to find a pair of micro spikes to borrow. Got a pair of Yaktrax Walkers recently and they literally lasted less then 2 hours on Bierstadt before snapping.

Postby Dave B » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:40 pm

Sorry, I thought I had something better than this, but you can still tell the trough is pretty dry. Not very good beta on the ledges though...

Carl wrote:Might try to find a pair of micro spikes to borrow. Got a pair of Yaktrax Walkers recently and they literally lasted less then 2 hours on Bierstadt before snapping.

Microspikes might be the best $60 I've spent. I wore them both times into GG last week where the trail was probably only 60% snow/ice covered. They're pretty tough and come with a two-year warranty.

Good luck!
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby Kiefer » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:13 pm

Not the west side, but if Meeker is indication of what Longs looks like, yah...tennis would work great!
Have a good time, Carl. Thanks for the seats BTW at Viesturs! 8)

Meeker/Tahosa Valley (Taken today 11.29.12)

Next