Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Bear Lake RMNP Conditions

Information on peaks other than the CO 14ers and 13ers.

Bear Lake RMNP Conditions

Postby mts4602 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:13 am

Anybody been in this area recently? Looking to go Sunday or Monday. Should I take snowshoes?
Last edited by mts4602 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Matt

Re: Bear Lake RMNP Conditions

Postby DanR » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:09 am

I haven't, but it's mentioned without a huge amount of detail in this thread

Postby mts4602 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:16 am

bump!
Matt

Postby Dave B » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:24 am

mts4602 wrote:Anybody been in this area recently? Looking to go Sunday or Monday. Should I take snowshoes?

Probably depends on where you're going. Everyone else at Bear Lake wears snowshoes whether they're necessary or not. This results in nicely packed trails that are perfectly bootable.

If you plan to venture too far off the normal trails then, yes, snow shoes will probably be needed.

I've found the rangers at the park to be a wealth of information when needed. Especially the back country office.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby mts4602 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:28 am

Dave B wrote:
mts4602 wrote:Anybody been in this area recently? Looking to go Sunday or Monday. Should I take snowshoes?

Probably depends on where you're going. Everyone else at Bear Lake wears snowshoes whether they're necessary or not. This results in nicely packed trails that are perfectly bootable.

If you plan to venture too far off the normal trails then, yes, snow shoes will probably be needed.

I've found the rangers at the park to be a wealth of information when needed. Especially the back country office.

Nah I'll be on the normal trails. Either Flattop or Andrews Glacier I think. I don't mind carrying them even if they are not needed, but my gf doesn't have any so we were going to rent some for her if needed. Maybe I'll give the rangers a call.
Matt

Postby IronLionZion » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:09 pm

I went up flattop mountain on skis 2 weeks ago and my buddy had snowshoes and skis on his back. I would definitely recommend snowshoes if you are venturing further than about a mile or 2 from the trailhead.
Hold up my goings in thy paths, that my footsteps slip not. Psalm 17:5